When you want to clear out clutter

Where do you start? How do you sort it? Decide what to keep or get rid of?
I am trying to clear out some stuff and I am slightly overwhelmed

gulfcoastmom4

Asked by gulfcoastmom4 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I will take one room or even just a closet at a time. If we have not used it in a year it is gone. Once you get going it gets easier.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do that. Start with something easy. Turn on some music and set a timer for 5 minutes or so.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I go through with a garbage bag. Quickly sort and toss. I make piles. Save or garbage. Throw it out right away and take to the curb.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I always take two laundry baskets into a room. 1 for stuff we haven't used in over a year & one for stuff I didn't even know I had! After I fill the "stuff we didnt know we had" basket I automatically throw it away/donate. Then, I save just 1-2 things out of the "1 year basket" & throw the rest away/donate. Be careful when "donating" though. I have seen many people come up w stuff to donate then just leave that too around the house to clutter. try to take it within 24 hours.
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 11:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• When I feel overwhelmed, I divide the project into small pieces, then tackle theses one at a time. It gives me a series of small successes, that inspire me to keep going.

I do Keep, Toss, Donate piles. Then, for the Keep, I sort like things together.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Start with a certain room. I like to do one that I can make a big difference in a short amount of time - meaning it doesn't need to get rid of much. For me that is the living room, usually. I make 2 piles - one to go to the GoodWill right away (right into the box it goes), and one pile for "I am not sure". That pile goes in the box in the basement and I usually end up selling that stuff or bring it back into the main living area because I missed it or needed it.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010