• In the Spotlight:

How do you really know when your are over worked and under paid???

I took a part time job when my daughter was 3 weeks old, so we could get back on our feet and make ends meet. The part time job is a graveyard shift. Its more or less turned in to a full time job. I am supposed to work Friday Saturday and Sunday but its more like everyday swing shifts. I work more that the full time employees and to top it off my boss relieves me in the mornings and is always at least 2 hours late ( no call no nothing). I am to the point that I am completely fed up. My husband throws a fit because I am never home when I should be (mainly because he doesn't want to help with the kids) and I stay stressed. I never have time to do anything because I am so tired all the time. Plus I can't really say anything to my boss because I am still in my porbationary period and I really need this job. I took it so I would still be home with my kids during the day, and now I feel like I am missing out on so much. Am I over reacting?

Cory789

Asked by Cory789 at 4:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• no i don't think that you are over reacting .
    you are doing what any other mother would do if they were behind in bills and to help in the home.
    its hard for some fathers to understand because they don't know how to deal with all the demanding that kids give and the atention.but just try to explean to him its only until you all get back on you'r feet.
    mislady

Answer by mislady at 8:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Just because you are in your probationary period doesn't mean you can't say anything to your boss. There has to be good communication to be able to have an understanding. Explain that the 2 hour thing is not that big of a deal but you can only work the 3 days that you agreed to upon hiring. If not, start looking for a new part time job.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 10:28 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• As soon as you realize you are a woman then you know you are overworked and underpaid. (joke) If you entered into an agreement to work part time, weekends then that is what you should be working. They can't just change what they offered and if they do then you have the right to reject their offer of more hours, shift changes, etc. Your boss is unprofessional and exploiting you with that two hour delay. Probationary period or not, I wouldn't have a problem saying that is unacceptable and if you are not respected then you will take your laboring skills elsewhere. My kids (adult) use the temp services (Free). Many companies use them to screen their employees during that probationary time. They are great. If you don't like a job just tell the temp agency and they find you another without you hurting your work record. Skeeter Davis (country singer) told the Grand Old Opry when they fired her "I was looking for a job when I found this one". Jobs are not that hard to find if you have help.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• When you work from 7am to sometimes 7pm or 8pm with only maybe 40hr no overtime and you work so hard that youre a zombie.You never get off when you are supposed to and when youre sched. for a certain shift you are not guaranteed it. You get no respect for your hardwork and due diliagence. You follow the rules but if you were to break one it would be bye bye for you. Its easier to get another job while you still have the one you got !!
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 1:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• If your boss is 2 hours late all the time you should report her to whoever she reports to. She is abusing her power, this coming from a boss who is constantly 15 minutes late at least 3x a week, I am sorry...I suck.
    phazed.0ut

Answer by phazed.0ut at 7:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• let me just add, I am on call 24/7 and sometimes I am so tired from getting woke up all hours of the night by my employees....and working double or extra shifts b/c we are understaffed. Ugh.
    phazed.0ut

Answer by phazed.0ut at 7:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I think if you read your post, you will see that you are overworked. I don't know about being underpaid since you didn't mention you wage. This job is already causing you and your marriage tension. I would talk to your supervisor this week and recap what you agreed to do and let him/her know you need to do it this way. Be respectful and firm so you either get what you need, negotiate something you and your husband can live with or you resign. This is not the only job in the world and it isn't worth peace in your home and marriage. Talk it over with your hubby. He can help you decide what the two of you can live with and maybe even give you tips for the best way to speak to your boss and her possible responses. Good luck with it.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• If you are a woman you are overworked and underpaid.
    hjfern

Answer by hjfern at 8:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Welcome to America that's most jobs
    FanofJesus

Answer by FanofJesus at 2:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2008