...better to not even take the job?

My husband has a good job and his pay is pretty much exactly what we need to pay our house payment and utilities and car payment to the dollar.

I have been looking for a job so we will actually have money . I have went on alot of interviews and the one that payed the most offered me the job.. I was so excited until we looked into daycares. We make just over the limit to get free daycare... and the cheapest one we can get here is $260 over my whole monthly paycheck !!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, daycare costs can make a difference in deciding what job to take. I found that out when I was looking for a job 11 yrs ago. What I did was I took a job that was opposite my husband. He worked days, and when he got home I would go to work- that way we did not have daycare costs. We did that for a few months until I found the job I have now- which allows me to work from home.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Only you can really decide if it is worth it. $260.00 a month to go toward savings is still $260.00. But you have to weigh that against being away from your LO. For me depending on how old the child is there can be a benefit to them going to daycare, they learn how to socialize and learn to be away from the parent before entering school. But you have to decide what is best for you.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think your time at home is worth more than that. It does not even seem worth it to come out a little bit ahead.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• OOOH. I thought it meant that the daycare costs MORE than what you would bring home - that is how I read it and I thought, why would you even ask - of course do not take a job where you would just be in the negative...

I also agree with the others, even if you bring that home, it isnt worth being away from your babies.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 11:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with melbornj!!!!!

Answer by older at 11:24 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Maybe you should start a home daycare, it seems like there is money to be made there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't!!!! Have you thought about trying something form home like Mary Kay, Lia Sophia, Tastefully SImple?
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 11:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• are you saying that the daycare will cost you your entire paycheck plus 260.00 more a month? or that after daycare you will make 260? if you are going to pay MORE than you make then no it wouldn't make sense. I may have misunderstood what you were asking.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would love to share with you my journey with an at home business that has allowed e to stay hoe with my family while contributing a substantial income to our household!!! LOVE IT!! Hope this helps!
    arbnmom

Answer by arbnmom at 12:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• if you would make less than childcare. maybe you should just work weekends or when dh is home.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010