Do your skids call you Mom? Do you bio kids call him Dad?

Now this is my situation, we have all six children on the weekend. My three bio kids are with me all week therefore DH is there "every day Dad". However my skids only see me on the weekend and I am the "mom figure in the house."

When I talk to my bio kids I don't say "Ask Doug when he gets home" I DO SAY" Ask Dad when he gets home." However DH doesn't do that for me with his kids...
SHOULD HE? How do you deal with this in your household?

marriedw6kids

Asked by marriedw6kids at 3:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am Lisa to his, he is Kurt to mine. We are mom and dad to the baby. :) We have 4 total, and they all live with us. I don't mind if his son doesn't calls me mom. He has a mother and my boys have a father who are active parents and i think it would be weird for them. If they want to call him dad, or me mom, that's ok, but I'm not going to push it.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We always called step-father by his first name or initials - same for step-mother. I think it's the intent behind the words and not the words themselves.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• SD calls me Momma, Mommy or by my name. SS always calls me by my name.

What do you want your DH to do? What do you want your skids to do? What do your skids want to do?

I think that whatever works for your family is what sould happen.
    MrsDavid

Answer by MrsDavid at 6:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My skids call me by a "pet" name. I'm not a fan of the stepparents using mom and dad if there is a biological parent in the picture, no matter how rotten they may be.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:07 AM on Nov. 1, 2008