8 Month old + 15 hour Road Trip = What should I take & any advice?

For Thanksgiving my family and I are driving to FL and staying for a week. It's a 15 hour road trip with my 8 month old and my husband. Is there anything I should take to entertain him, and advice for those who have taken road trips?

trublonde130

Asked by trublonde130 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Travel

• We used to drive at night. Like leave at 6:00pm and drive right through. It's tough that age because they are rear facing. You can't even watch a movie. Bring a bunch of kid CDs. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:08 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Portable dvd player. Crayons, coloring book, little toys (the favorite toys of course), snacks, juice, blankey...

Stop to eat, stretch, run around, play every so often to break it up and it should go pretty smoothly. I'm sure a car seat gets really uncomfortable after a few hours!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Allow time for plenty of stops along the way! Maybe consider an overnight, but then again, a two day road trip may make an 8 month old cranky, too. Pack plenty of diapers and a few extra pairs of clothes, some snacks for the car, colorful books and his/her favorite toys, maybe some childrens sing along music.

http://www.gerber.com/Toddler/Products/Fruit_Puffs.aspx?PLineId=9a8d2981-4e8c-48f7-ad4d-c5c5a3b1902b&PCatId=9772c526-b81c-45a2-80c7-dd7893122bea

These are great snacks for on the go for this age. :) Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• @Kword - my lil guy loves those puffs!!!! I will put them in one of the toys he loves so he can find them, he gets a kick when he does. Sweet Potatoe are his favorite right now.
    trublonde130

Comment by trublonde130 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We traveled with our first son when he was 9 months old on a 14 hour road trip to North Dakota. We drove at night, it was the dead of winter, and thankfully, our son slept most of the time. Come morning he was a little cranky, but I sat in the back with him and kept him entertained. He woke up occasionally in the middle of the night, but i took him out of his car seat to change his diaper real quick (since we alone on the backroads) and then buckled him back in immediately afterwards to feed him his bottle. I hope this helps, have fun on your trip!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• They sleep a lot. Take a few of his small favorite toys or cuddling items. When you stop try to let the baby move around for a bit. We used to travel from SC to PA 4 times a year starting when my son was 3 months old. I thought it would be quite a chore but it ended up being no big deal at all.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes, my kids loved them, too at his age! sometimes they are life savers!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2010