Does anyone else feel like this?

I seem to have issues with my sons dating, I feel like they are mine and you girls need to stay away.... I Think i feel like the GF's or taking them away from me, They are 18 and 16, On the other hand i feel like this is normal and i have to get over it... With my daughters they are still l to young so im really not there yet.

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 11:15 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I understand. It's a pretty big transition. You're not alone in feeling like this. What matters is how you handle these feelings. It certainly sounds like you're not going to let those feelings get in the way of your sons' happiness or development, you're just acknowledging how you feel.

justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I understand what you mean but you have to let them. Just think about that they still your sons no one can take that away from you. But sooner or alter they are gonna get married, move out and have kids of their own. Circle of life.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Very normal but unhealthy way to look at life, it is a cycle and you must let it run it's course, don't ever stand in the way of their choices, even if you might not agree, they have to learn on their own time, not yours. This is the cycle of life, remember this and you will be fine.

Answer by older at 11:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think at that age you have to be support of their desire to date, while being there for them when they need you. You can't keep them little forever and if you try they are likely to resent it. They are teens and probably don't wan to spend all of their evenings at home with mom. Relish the time you have with them, but give them room to grow.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• oh... please don't turn into one of THOSE mother in laws.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have girls and am not always thrilled with the boys she brings home, well actually only one. But there have been boys around and one (not the one I don't like) was around for a couple of years, and I'll tell you his mother was a nut job!! We know you love your sons and only want was is best for them, we feel the same about our daughters. But I have to agree with Niki, if you turn into "that mom" you will lose your sons. No girls will compete with a mom and she shouldn't have to.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I am not a mother of a teen yet so idk if that is normal BUT I should tell you that this is the way my ex's mom acted with me. We dated 3 years and I got pregnant at 18. Because of her behavior (well one of the reasons) we did not stay together. He is in the Army now and isn't around. Because she was so hateful to me, we have a very distant relationship which means she NEVER sees my daughter. I am not saying yours sons will end up in my situation but please keep in mind that every girl you son brings home is a potential wife and if you don't treat her nicely, she may not trust you around their children later. Just a thought.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'M not going to be that mother in law... I am having issues, I do realize also i need to get over it and i am trying.

kileighsmommie

Comment by kileighsmommie (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2010