• In the Spotlight:

my son rarely eats real food... how do i get him to start eating meat and vegetables?

he only likes, mcdonalds double cheese burgers, fries, apple dippers, peanut butter and jelly, chicken and fruit

Itshard4me

Asked by Itshard4me at 3:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try giving him fresh veggy stick and dip, most kids love to their food in dressing, cheese sauce, apple sauce, ketchup, etc. it doesn't matter what it is they. that's how i got my son to start eating veggies. he loves fresh carrot sticks and ranch dressing. and try graham crakcers and apple sauce. plus i sneak foods into my sons favorite meals, like shredded carrot and zucchini in spaghetti sauce. good luck :)
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That's about how my older son is. I don't force him, whatever I cook I serve him hoping he will just try it at least. They will come around. BTW, I was a very picky eater as child and I didn't even have my first steak till I was 22! I wouldn't dare think of trying anything new but I am totally different except when it comes to seafood, lol.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Make one dish at each meal that you know he will eat. Rotate through the food groups during the week. One meal is a fruit you know he will eat. The next is chicken. etc. He can have as much of anything at the table as he wants - but if it's not at the table, oh well.
    Never make him his own special meal. If you do it now, you will be doing it until he moves out.
    Never link eating something with getting dessert. Don't have desserts more than once a week and everyone gets one.
    Get the junk snacks out of the house. Set a good example by not eating them and if they aren't in the house, that is easier.
    If he chooses not to eat, that's his choice. Let him go hungry until the next meal. Don't make a big issue out of it, just let him discover hunger.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• my son is the same way. but what I do is when I make something I also put one vegetable on his plate and if he doesn't want it I tell him to take 2 or 3 bits. I do the samething with meats.
    rosie823

Answer by rosie823 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I'm sorry, but your son doesn't need mcdonalds double cheeseburgers! I think with any issue, you are the parent and you should make him try different things. I believe it's ok to tell them to try what you prepared or don't eat. It worked for me.
    Anonymous

• I make dinner my son can choose to eat the healthy options or go hungry. After a day or two of that your child would eat the real foods you are making. They will not starve themselves. You created the problem by giving him all the unhealthy junk food you can fix it.

Anonymous

• First of all, I think there are some good answers above. You are the mom, and while it might not always be fun, its your job. You might make him unhappy at first by not offering those foods anymore, but you are giving him the gift of health and training him on how to make good choices in what to eat, this is a life SKILL. McD's is quick and sometimes SO easy, but their food is NOT what you want his brain growing on, is it? No one said being "the mom" would be easy, but creating a healthy kid is a great reward. Good luck!
    GNMom88

Answer by GNMom88 at 1:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Well stop with the fast food first. CHicken and fruit are ok depending on how it is prepared. Try some recipes that maybe have some of his favorite foods in them and add allitle veggies to them and see. I am a picky eater but I made sure I gave my kids allitle of everything. Not saying you didnt some kids just dont like anything but if you dont give him what he wants he will get hungrey and eat it one day. Thats the key one day at a time.
    Mother-of-4

Answer by Mother-of-4 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2008