Is my baby developing slowly?

He will be 1 at the end of this month and has not yet had chunky food. I remember my other two boys having B-day cake at their first b-day, but I don't think my DS would even know what to do with a piece of cake in 23 days! He still eats baby rice, baby oatmeal, and gerber 2nd foods. He isn't crawling yet either- can only do the army crawl. Should I be concerned?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are concern why not take this up with his doctor to see what he says, all kids are different............

Answer by older at 11:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It is not a problem for him to not have chunky food yet. In fact, a lot of peds will tell you not to give babies anything but breast milk or formula until their first birthday. If you're seriously concerned with his physical development (not being able to crawl yet) bring it up with his doctor at your next appointment (he should go in around his first birthday).

Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with FatGirl239.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• every baby develops differently.introdce him to hard food slowly
    kimylina

Answer by kimylina at 11:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would start giving him some canned peas, gerber puffs, stuff like that and let him start building the skills to pick things up and put them in his mouth. I wouldn't say he's delayed if you haven't given him the tools necessary for the development. You can also try bananas and avocado's.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Is it because you haven't given him other foods to eat besides the baby cereals and baby food.How may teeth does he have.I think a cake would be great for him.I'd also start giving him baby cookies & biscuits.Does he still have a bottle? All babies are different,but it's up to the parents to introduce the diferent types of foods they are able to eat as they get older.I wouldn't worry mama.But if it does concern you,just bring it up with your doctor.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 11:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• U can ask your doctor. I would say yes.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Crawling is not a milestone. Does he stand and walk along furniture? If so, he is fine.

Also, eating other or solid foods is not a necessity until after age one and when they are getting no formula or less breast milk.

He actually doesn't have to have solids yet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have given him tiny pieces of food such as muffins, but he did gag on a tiny piece once. I'm probably just nervous to try more. He has two front bottom teeth. He can stand for short periods of time- but I pulled him up and put his hands on his crib railing. He does not walk along furniture. He just learned how to sit up from a lying position a week ago. Thanks for suggestions so far.
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• The fact that he did learn to sit up on his own and will stand is a good sign. Yes, physically, he may be slower at doing those things, but, he is moving forward and learning. Just keep working and encouraging and he will get it. He isn't that far behind at all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2010