Anybody know anything about the foster-to-adopt program?

I am considering trying to adopt on off the foster care system. Does anyone on here have any experience or any advice for someone throwing the idea around? I really have no idea where to start but feel very strongly that it is something I want to do.

mgeorge6404

Asked by mgeorge6404 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Adoption

• In which state? They're all a bit different.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Go to the website for family services in your state. They will have the info you need to get started.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I am in Ohio. I have been to the website but obviously they make it seem so easy. I want to hear from someone who has actually done it. I want to know what their actual experience has been like. Thanks to all who have answered.
    mgeorge6404

Comment by mgeorge6404 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My parents have adopted 4 children through foster care. All younger than 5, all with no longer foster period than 2 years before paper were signed. The first step is to contect your Department of Social Services. You will need to be fingerprinted, have a background check, home inspection, complete some training (usually one class a week for 6 weeks) in order to be licensed to foster/adopt
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• There are 2 awesome groups on here. Please feel free to join. I fostered to adopt so I could bring home an infant. It is very risky that way as reunification is the first priority. I have often heard that straight adoption from the foster system is very lengthy. If you want to know more feel free to PM me. I also recommend contacting the county where you are in Ohio so you can go to an orientation. You can ask more questions there as well.

PS- The sites, like adopt us kids, with photo listings are typically full of available children. But they usually have many families requesting them. I don't want to discourage you, just being honest. :) Best wishes!! Also check out my current question about National Adoption Month. That is strictly about foster adoption with links included.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Check your state for specifics. And God Bless You
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 1:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• This is so wonderful and so needed.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• we started the process in our state you contact dcfs then they send you aletter to come out for an initial meeting to introduce you to the inner workings of the program after that you take home a folder full of paperwork fill that out then send in wait to hear from sw to have your fingerprints ran when that all cleared you are signed up for classes .You have to complete I believe 10 classes to receive your certificate and then your license. It's kind of difficult to take all the classes when you have your own schedule, Good Luck to those who are going this route!
    elle1922

Answer by elle1922 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Like another person already said, the challenge in fost-adopt is that the state's first priority is reunification with the birth parents. You have to prepare yourself for that. We adopted our daughter in a very unique situation that included a private agency as well as the State adoption. Three years later, we were surprised with the pregnancy of our second daughter. The way I have always seen it is that both are challenging, risky, and painful at times, but in the end they are equally as rewarding.
    Jennibug

Answer by Jennibug at 10:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010