Is it safe to take anti depressants while breast feeding?

Im bipolar and decided not to take medication during my pregnancy, I really want to breast feed too. I just wanted to know if it was possible while taking medications.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you held out this long, I would recommend holding out as long as you can, but there are some meds you can breastfeed while taking talk to your drs about which ones are safest.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• u should not take any medication while ur pregnant or breastfeeding.the medication runs throu ur blood and also into ur breast milk.I can understand that antidepressants is something important but still try to stay on track without em IF POSSIBLE
    kimylina

Answer by kimylina at 11:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Depends on what you are taking and what your doctor says, and if the benefits of taking them outweigh the risks of not being on them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Talk to your doctor about the pros and cons. If you can control the Bipolar symptoms without meds, then do that. Otherwise, you may need to take the meds and not breastfeed. Psychotropic meds can be passed through breastmilk, so you really have to decide if you can stay stable while breastfeeding without meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with Izsarejman. Some are okay to take when nursing. Especially if you can time it so that you take it right after a feeding, and then the time when it would be highest in your system is one when you won't be nursing. If you need to take medication after your child is born, DO IT. I had serious postpartum issues that would have been fine had I taken medication right after my daughter was born, but I was too scared to for her health. I forgot about my own health, and it could have ended badly.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• this is really a question for your psychiatrist because without knowing how bipolar you are (1, 2 or dysthymic) i couldnt possibly understand what you were going through without medication
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• There are lots of medications that are SAFE to take. Try looking up your meds on LactMed. It will give you other options too.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 6:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If your bipolar you shouldn't be taking antidepressants. They have a placebo effect at BEST. Depakote is SAFE for breastfeeding.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• YES they are safe, read up on kellymom.com about them also google Lact MEd databse and it can tell you all the exact issues with each drug.

It is much better to get BM with a tiny amount of the medications than to get formula..this is per all studies, not just my opinion.
    If you have no already join Breastfeeding moms and also Medications and Mothers milk groups.

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Talk to your dr. there is medication that can be taken, but you will need a dr.s help in helping determine which ones.
    DanyielJ

Answer by DanyielJ at 12:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010