Tips on disciplining a 4 year old boy

I would like to hear from all of you on how to successfully discipline your child(ren) when they have a tantrum or a fit...I have tried time outs without much success and I i dont know what else to try. I have tried spanking or taking away some of his toys when he misbehaves but that doesnt seem to work either. Thank you for your input.

MrsTBailey

Asked by MrsTBailey at 12:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I started a special treat jar for my daughter, she loves it, what we do is we took an old glass juice jar, then put a label on it that says Teresas Special Treat Jar. I let her color that. Then when she does something good, cleans up her toys when we ask her, does her nightime routine well, helps her brother with something, anything that we just want to say good job for we fill it up with a little bit of water. I put a few drops of food coloring in it so that it makes it a little more fun. But to go along with it we made a list of house rules, that if she breaks she looses some of her water. If she does something naughty on this list we point out what she did wrong and she has to loose some of her water. When the jar gets full she gets a treat, either a toy, special time with mommy or daddy, or a snack. It works wonders. It reinforces the good things, while correcting the bad.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 12:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• have you noticed when the tantrums or fits are related to when he eats or if he's over tired or is it more when he doesnt' get his way? offer more choices when it doesn't matter. like what color shirt to wear or what do you want to have for dinner, chicken or soup - things like that more often will help your child feel in control more often and should lessen the amount of tantrums or outbursts.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• we do a more cause and effect method of disciplining. for example, if you choose not to pick up your toys you choose to loose them (i pack them up and send them to the attack) if you choose to yell at your brother, you choose to no longer be in the playroom (or wherever the incident happened)  etc....

if my son throws a fit, i don't intervene. I walk away and say "when you are ready to talk like a 4yr old, i'm ready to listen" as long as he's screaming or rolling around in the floor, i ignore him. we've been doing this for awhile and i will say he rarely every throws a fit these days and when he does, they are much shorter and less dramatic than they use to be. when he is ready to talk, we discuss better ways to handle whatever it was that led to the fit. using words, leaving the situation etc....

i have found time outs to not work well either. we've never spanked.

rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 12:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2010