My 4 yr old needs a tooth pulled...help

Has anyone had a LO have an extraction? How did it go. My SD was playing with him. His front toothe chipped...I let it go as it was only a small chip, but it was damaged more than I thought. He lost another chunk and it is turning color. So Dec 1st they are pulling it. I am afraid for him.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 12:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Dentist r great!! They rub something in your mouth to numb it and then they use a needle with novacaine in it. There is no pain at all. Once the tooth is pulled and the medication wears off, there is no discomfort. Don't be afraid. Where r u located? I could reccommend a good one. message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Don't transfer your fear to him, it will only make it worst, he will not feel a thing for they will numb the area and won't feel a thing. This is how fear of dentist is created, no one likes to go, (except maybe me) but it is a necessary evil we must go through in order to keep the teeth we were given. try to make going to the dentist a bearable thing to do so in the future he will not be afraid as so many people are and see it as preventive medicine, good luck, he will be just fine!

Answer by older at 12:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• He will feed off your fear. If you think he needs to be sedated to do the extraction then talk to the dentist about it. If the tooth needs to be pulled why are they waiting a month. That would be a concern for me. I would be afraid of infection as the root is dying.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have not had to deal with it yet, but imagine when my son gets braces I will have to deal with it because I know they might pull some. Dentists are generally really good with small kids as far as those things go and a regular extraction should not be too stressful.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'm pretty sure they'll give him the Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) and then numb the area. Baby teeth do not go very deep at all so it should be quick and easy with no trauma....just don't transfer your fear like the other ladies suggested...kids pick up on that WAY too quickly.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• don't show fear to your child, that will only make him nervous when the time comes and it will be more tougher to remove.
    You can always try to play dentist with him and telling him what is going to happen. maybe take turns he can be the dentist and then you and each of you will be more happy and relaxed. everything will be okay :)
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 2:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well mama if the tooth is discolored then that is a sign of a dead tooth, no vitality. And if he has a circle (showing tooth pulp) in the spot where his tooth is chipped then it raises the risk for infection to spread through out the mouth. He wont be in pain when they pull it, just a little nervous. IF it hurts you can rub powdered cloves around the gum of the tooth and clean with peroxide. Stay calm and take time to educate him on the procedure. You may even be able to snag a couple of youtube videos for him to see. Good luck!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The dentist I am sure will do a great joB!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm sure he'll be fine. Just stay with him and don't let him know you're freaked out. Best of luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm sure he'll be ok!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 5, 2010