I have a daughter who is very emotional, What are some ideas on how to punish, or reward her?

jaimeswife2010

Asked by jaimeswife2010 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• emotional as in crys often or easy? Charts or rewards / same with discipline charts..that seems to help ease the outburst as she knows what the punishment/rewards will be.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Without having any other info to go on for your question, I really don't think that punishment/rewards is what she really needs. She needs love and understanding! She is a teenager with hormones all out of whack and you need to keep the lines of communication open. I was punished all the time during my teen years for my emotions and told that emotions don't matter. When you are a teenager it ALL matters! Love her and support her. Lovingly guide her to a healthy way of dealing with her emotions. Don't punish or berate her!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I show love and support, and this is more than teen hormones. She has a disability and is always emotional. has been since she was born. She cries everytime I ask her to clean her room, slams the door. Thinks everything is her fault if you ask her a question like Do you know who's glass this is? She is always upset or extremely happy. So I am trying to find new ways to issue her rewards for her good grades and then also new ways of punishment when she acts out or is in trouble.
    jaimeswife2010

Comment by jaimeswife2010 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have a 14 yr old dd who has epilepsy, bi-polar disorder and severe anxiety. She is also DCD (developmentally and cognitively disabled. We have a handle on her bi-polar now, but before we did, she acted in much the same way. We tried punishments and rewards....to no avail. The problem wasn't HER it was her MEDS. After spending 3 weeks in an adolescent psyche unit, we got a handle on her meds and they have been working ever since and she is a completely different person. If your dd hasn't seen her dr. in a while - I would start THERE. When kids begin and go through puberty, their meds need adjusting for the different hormone levels. I want to be of help to you - so feel free to pm me.....
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Take her to a counselor and have her evaluated. Sounds like she is Bipolar. Start with a visit to her doctor for a referral.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010