Does anyone know how to do a drive for Kidney donation?

I writing because my brother is in complete kidney failure and is having surgery Wed. Nov, 5th., to have a second shunt put in, it is going directly into his stomach & he'll be on a dialysis machine every night. I'm so scared that he won't make it through and I just want to find out how I would try to organize/or ask for people that would be willing to donate, to be tested. This is so important to me, he's my only brother. I just can't imagine life without him. He is only 41 and has two young boys at home that need him. Also would love nothing more than to locate a son that was taken from him and raised by someone else, due to a girl that was to free with herself. He is depressed, and desperate to find his son before he dies. He wants let him know that he never stopped loving him. If anyone has any answers, please either submit answers here or send me a pm. Thank you

shonna1968

Asked by shonna1968 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Health

• I have no clue. Have you thought about asking someone at the hospital? Hope he gets better. HUGS
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• What community are you in? I know how to do blood drives and bone marrow drives, but as for kidneys or other organs I am at a loss. I would think it would need to be something set up with his doctor/nephrologist because that would be the place to look for correct tissue typing and such. Maybe start there. Good luck and I will keep you and your brother in my thoughts.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 3:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• call your local kidney foundation. My former boss was a kidney donor to her dad and coordinated the kidney health walk for years afterwards and started a marathon for it too. Look up kidney disease or transplant and for your local support group. i bet they can help you. Here in my neighborhood they are doing all kinds of fundraisers for a guy just diagnosed with a brain tumor. Bikers, businesses, pancake breakfasts and all sorts of other things. Prayers for you and your brother.
    candle-mom

Answer by candle-mom at 4:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2008