Does anybody know where you can legally drop off prescription medication that you don't use or need anymore?

Do you take 'em to the hospital or what do you do with them?

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 12:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Health

• Oh man, I just saw a commercial for this... shoot. I can't remember.. call your pharmacy because they will probably know!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Find a pharmacy that will dispose of them properly.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would ask at a pharmacy, but I don't know if they take them back. Recently, sometime in Sept or Oct local police departments were collecting them, "no questions asked". I think they were trying to keep narcotics and pseudophedrine out of the hands of the kids/ dealers. But I think that's just a once a year thing.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It depends on the medication, my pharmacist said to bring it into him for disposal. He did tell me that liquid pain medication can be flushed but dilute it well
    LIDad08

Answer by LIDad08 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• DO NOT EVER flush meds in the toilet!! It affects our drinking water! Call any pharmacy to find where to take them to in your area.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Don't flush them! It's scary the stuff that ends up in our water supply. Put them in the trash or take them back to your pharmacy.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Check out www.smarxtdisposal.net Thought they suggest disposing of medication into the garbage, it does explain the dangers of flushing them (which was my initial answer until is bing-ed rx disposal.

Or go to www.americanmedicinechest.com to find a disposal site and take them there on Nov 13
    pioneergirl10

Answer by pioneergirl10 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Our county dump takes them on a regularly scheduled basis. DO NOT FLUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 12:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010