Oregon man wins right to give police the finger

An Oregon man has settled a federal lawsuit over what he says was his First Amendment right to express himself by giving the finger to sheriff's deputies.

The Oregonian reports Robert Ekas settled the suit for $4,000.

In his lawsuit, Ekas said that in July 2007, he flipped off a Clackamas County deputy while driving, and the deputy gave him tickets for illegal lane change and improper display of license plates. Ekas was acquitted on the citations. A month later, he gave the finger to another deputy, who detained him but wrote no tickets.

Ekas alleged he was being harassed.

A story earlier this year in the Portland newspaper brought Ekas national media attention, including an appearance on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report."

County officials say it was cheaper to settle the case than to proceed with defending the suit.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 12:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good for him!!! as a teen, I was once harassed or hit on by this cop, it made me feel uncomfortable and as I walked out of my gym one afternoon, he followed me in his car. I stuck out my tongue , letting him know I was not interested since he had not gotten the hint before, then he proceeded to turn on his siren and lights and stop me.. As he approached my car I said, what, you are giving me a ticket for sticking my tongue out??? he proceeded to lecture me, as I rolled my eyes in discontent., they are so arrogant sometimes!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 12:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Hmmm, I wonder how that's going to work for him in the future.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Funny, I thought that was covered under the first ammendment.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• LOL...This is another case of cops acting stupidly

Was the guy being an idiot? probably

Were the cops using their position and power to intimidate ? yup

Why did they think they can control the actions of another human being??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Oh yeahhh....REALLY classy and mature of him.@@
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Is this guy an idiot? Is it that big of a deal to flip off a cop? It'scalled respecting people and authority. And yes, my DH is a cop.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• well i am not sure he should have been so disrespectful...esp. doing it more than once. childish but not criminal
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• That's what I thought Sweet. Flipping someone the bird is juvenile but give me a break. I just remember my grandmother was flipped off by another driver and responded by sticking her tongue out. Just as juvenile but funny nonetheless

My Mom-Mom, who has passed since, used to flip off EVERYONE...but she was crazy! lol she was also fond of sticking her tongue out at people! lol...Glad she was never DETAINED for it! LOL..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• good for this man if he wants to flip someone off that is his right!!! If we keep being PC all of the time we will no longer have any rights... We as a nation should have the right to say what comes to our minds even if it is dumb.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I forgot to mention my gmom lived in Oregon. Maybe its a Oregon thing. lol
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 2:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2010