What are the best beginner exercises for a very large person?

I want to lose 100+ pounds. I am ready!!! With my very heavy weight, it is going to be a lot more difficult to do hard workouts, so I'm just wanting to work toward them for now. How can I start? I know walking is a great way to begin- how about things you can do in your home? Looking for great suggestions, not harsh comments. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Walking and swimming are GREAT ways to exercise, and they're easy on the joints. It's a good idea to do some weight training as well to up your metabolism.
    Diet is as important, if not more so, as exercise. Portion control and healthy choices are key. I'm using clean eating, which is making a big difference.
    I'm in the process of losing 100+ lbs, and I'm about 1/4 of the way there. I actually decided to start running, which helped, but start with walking. Make sure you include things like push ups, sit ups, squats, etc.
    You can join a website, sparkpeople.com. It's a social network site for people who are getting fit. They have great exercise demos and lots of articles about health and exercise and motivation. I'd highly recommend it!
    Congratulations on your decision! You'll be setting a great example to your kids! Lots of luck to you!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Here are my suggestions:

I think walking is an excellent choice. You should be abkle to work up to longer walks and then occasionally run or sprint for 30 seconds (building up longer times) during your walk.

I also thing yoga is good, as it can be a nice break on days you don't want to actually work your body. Yoga is good to gain balance as well as stretching abilities.

I also like to work with hand weights. Something small like 2 pounds or something can make a big difference as long as you work with them regularly.

If youhave access to a pool, swimming is a good choice since it takes alot of pressure off your knees and feet (due to the buoancy of the water).

I suggest gettig some videos (library) so you can learn some routines and get a good start on how to work with these things! Good luck!!!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• You can start by taking walks, adding more distance each day, little by little, when you find you have lost some weight and it is not as difficult to perform any other exercise, get yourself some hand weights, and google weight routine to get you started, never exercising the same muscle groups twice in a row, alternating them, but walking you can do everyday if you wish, make it a routine you will look forward to doing. Little steps moma, and you will achieve your goal as long as you are consistant and do it regularly you will see results, I for one will be cheering for you, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Answer by older at 12:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Walking and doing things like lifting weights (canned veggies to start) for your arms. :) Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I need to lose a lot of weight too. I cannot walk because sometimes I fall and can't get up, my hips hurt and then go numb. I do yoga but I have done it for YEARS. Still you don't have to do the ones that are uncomfortable. There are videos that show how to exercise while sitting in a chair. Curves is great but don't do the machines that cause any discomfort. There are online exercise videos that you can watch on your computer. Always watch though the entire video first to decide if you like it. Whatever, find something that you ENJOY or you won't do it.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Good for you!! Walking is a great way. Set goals for how long you walk or distance. Maybe find some low impact work out videos to do at home and set and commit to a time each day to work out. Denise Austin always had different levels to work out to and I always felt she was safe by explaining how not to hurt yourself. I have a system for members within my business. You put in your goals, and all measurements everything and it gives you a menu of foods to eat and shop for and a work out plan that works exclusively for you.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• These are great suggestions, everybody! Might I also add that if you haven't already, you might consider watching "The Biggest Loser" on NBC because those people are all very overweight when they start. You can get some great ideas on effective and safe exercises to do. Plus it's pretty inspirational. Good luck to you!!!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• The Wii Fit is a GREAT way to start. Honestly, it has some really great and really easy workouts that truely work your body hard. There are such a varity of workouts and you can even watch TV during some of them while you workout. If your TV allows you to that is. You can also do some homemade workouts such as step ups, walking up and down the stairs, walking in place, and things of that nature. Cardio is the BEST way to lose weight, Pilates and Yoga are best to tone and strengthen your body.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• So excited for you! I have a few suggestions....
    1) walk.
    2) Try tracy andersson videos, but not the cardio. I love these for at home.
    3) Food journal and if you can afford it, a nutritionist. I beleive food is 70% of the equation.
    4) Have an incentive program. Buy yourself something like a new sports bra or cd. You can only have it IF you go 2 weeks w/o sugar. No sodas, sweetners, candy, anything. No diet sodas either. If you make 2 weeks, then you get your present. If you don't, give it to your best friend.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Do small things..
    Park farther away from the store rather than right up front
    Take the stairs rather than the elevator
    Try to touch your toes several times a day
    Plate your food, when you eat from a container you always consume more than you mean to
    Do not eat standing up
    Take the time to enjoy what you are eating. When you eat slower, you are more satisfied
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010