Why do you think it is important to vote?

This is just a general thought and in no way represents my views.

Why do we push everyone to go vote? If a person knows nothing about what's happening, who's running, what positions are changing....Why would we push these people to go vote when they are so uninformed?

shabby.chic

Asked by shabby.chic at 12:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I can see your point. So maybe encouraging people to educate themselves so they can vote responsibly is a better thought. I do believe in going to vote if only to continue to protect our right to do so. If everyone gets apathetic and lazy the government will do the same thing. My grandfather always said "If you don't exercise your right to vote, you don't have the right to complain".
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think it is important to vote but I wont push anyone else to vote, I mean I wish everyone would but I know that, that wont happen. But I also think that if you didnt vote you have no room to complain about anything because you didnt do anything.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree. I've changed my stance from "go vote!" to "stay home if you don't know what the hell you're voting on". Uninformed voters are really dangerous.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Because in a Republic, the people govern but if they don't vote, then government has no accountability to the Constitution and they'll run a muck, as they have proven in the past several years.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2010