Does anyone know how to make a board game?

I'm trying to find to make a board game that incorporates soccer and schoolwork. Let me explain. My 10 yr. old ds is having an extremely hard getting and staying foucsed in school. He is an excellent soccer player so I was thinking that if I could create a game that puts the two of them together (because if his classroom were a soccer field, he'd be all good because he really focuses on and enjoys soccer), it might help him. And I know this probably sounds like a weird question, but his teachers, behavioral counselor and my dh and I have tried and are trying everything we can think of to help him but nothing seems to be working. So, please no smart comments, I'm just a mom who's trying to help her son as best I can.

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Board-Game

have you looked into that new leapfrog handheld game system that you can go online and load your son's homework into?

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• No. I didn't even know there was such a thing. WOW, I really feel out of the loop.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• also check out the leapfrog Fly stuff. it's really cool :) even I want one LOL

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• if you are trying to make one yourself you could use cardboard and make it a soccer field put 2 goals at each end you could use fishnets just cut off the handles make soccor balls out of paper and some dice from another game. math you could have soccor balls numbered have 4 with plus,subt.etc roll dice turn over one of the marked and he eithir has to plus the 2 dice togeather and if hes right he gets to move up one mark on the field you get a point everytime you make it to the goal. w/ reading you could use scrabble letters and he has to spell certain words right to move closer to the goal. just a thought. good luck
    sdeignan

Answer by sdeignan at 11:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• hi again just athought for homework, you could give him a soccor ball just a paper one everytime he does really good w/ homework and when he collects so many he gets icecream or some kind of treat. my dd is on an iep and i worked with her with everything from playdough to popcycle sticks. i know its very frustrating to find what works i give you alot of credit it is hard. hang in there.
    sdeignan

Answer by sdeignan at 11:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I wish I could make a suggestion, but I just wanted to comment. I think you are definately headed in the right direction. So many people just think kids are out of control when they don't do there school work. But alot of the time they just haven't been engaged. I had the same problem. I was really good at the work, I was just bored and couldn't focus on the work. Good luck and keep at it. At least for reading you can find books about soccer.
    merechele

Answer by merechele at 7:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Also I just thought about this also, maybe if you find information about soccer teams around the world you could use that for geography and social studies type inspired learning.
    merechele

Answer by merechele at 7:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2008