Whats the difference between Yule and Christmas?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 1:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Holidays

• Yule is a pagan holiday centered around the winter Solstice, and Christmas is a christian holiday centered around the birth of jesus.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Ooh great question, I am voting up MamaJasmine who gave a very good answer, but I also bumped the question b/c I hope to see more details - I don't actually know what happens at Yule (even though I have a few pagan friends!). All I know is what she said - Yule is pagan and Chistmas is christian. I was pretty sure Yule was all about the solstice but I wan't even positive about that!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yule is the celebration of the winter solstice, usually around the 21st/22nd of December. Christmas is a Christian-based, and sometimes secular, holiday based on the birth of Christ on December 25.

Christmas takes many of it's traditions (wassail, trees, wreaths, gifts, colors, etc.) from the Yule celebration. Even the date relates to Yule. According to scholars, Christ would not have been born in the winter (when do sheep give birth? early fall?) and the early church MOVED the celebration to make it more "pagan-friendly" as an attempt to convert them.

Yule celebrates the birth of the Sun God. Christmas celebrates the birth of the Son of God.

So, basically.... Other than the date, there's not a WHOLE lot different.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010