Temperature Question...

I have been trying to track my BBT in the mornings. I am just using a regular thermometer (I know I should be using the other one, I will go and get one for this cycle). However, my temperatures are all over the place. They range from 96.2 to 100.9. Anyone else get this?? My thermometer is brand new so it's not like it's old and broken or anything. I thought it was only supposed to fluxuate by half a degree or so? Like they can be spiked for 2 days, super low the next, then spiked for 2 more. I'm so confused! lol. Any help would be great!
Thanks!

lamr

Asked by lamr at 3:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Are you taking your temp at the same exact time in the morning, and while you are still lying in bed?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• You have to take your temp before you even get out of bed, but I think you're supposed to just lay there for awhile before taking it (not 100% sure on that, though). Have you been sick or anything like that lately?
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I used both a regular and bbt themometer. I didn't believe that it would make a difference, but when I started using the bbt themometer I got more constant temps. You should take your temp before you even sit up in bed.GL
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 10:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• For an accurate BBT chart, you should take your temperature at the same time every morning, right when you wake up, before you even get up or get out of bed; keep the thermometer on the night stand and reach for it first thing like you would the snooze button on your alarm. If you do it like you're supposed to, it definitely shouldn't fluctuate that much. What you're saying leads me to believe that there's something else going on in your body. A 100.9 temp is a fever; not a severe one, but still a fever, and not normal. If it's just been happening recently, then wait for that to take care of itself and see if your temps even out. If it's been like that for weeks or months, then go ahead and try a BBT thermometer, but if it stays that way I'd get it checked out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Yeah, I have been doing that - I guess I should have stated that... yeah, I do it every morning when my alarm goes off. It's the first thing I do every morning. I'm wondering is it because sometimes I'm all cozy in my blankets when I wake up and other times I'm not? If so, then I don't see how thats going to change since I'm sleeping when it occurs! lol.
    lamr

Answer by lamr at 10:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2008