Is she bluffing or is she really sick?

I don't want to discount her feelings if she really doesn't feel good, but my 4 year old is complaining of a tummy ache, but still wants to eat ton, run around and play, jump around,no fever etc. She's acting normal, she's just saying it hurts. I'm not sure. I asked her if she wanted to see the doctor and she said no thanks...LOL. She has said she didn't feel good before and took her in and she's fine. I think she likes the attention.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son complains of tummy aches all the time too - he does have some food allergies/ intolerances but aren't severe enough for any Ped to test him... try to see if its food related to something she ate - or if she is constipated from eating something..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Well, since she's only 4, I don't know. When my boys started school, if they said they were sick and didn't want to go to school, I always kept them home, but if you were too sick to go to school, you were to sick to play outside, have friends over, play video games, etc., (this was especially true if there was no fever, throwing up or other visible symptoms) because they knew this rule, they rarely "faked being sick, it wasn't worth it.

also, upset tummy automatically meant BRAT diet, that the doctor gave me for tummy ailments. It's for Banans, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast, no butter, soy sauce or seasonings that might upset the tummy. Plain soda crackers and dry baked potatoes were allowed as well.

Since she's not trying to get out of school, you might try telling her that if her tummy hurts she needs to lay down and nap so that it can get better, and try a little of "the diet", which means no fast food or fried foods too
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It could be some minor indigestion that bothers her a few minutes here and there. As long as she is playing and acting normal I would not worry. My youngest had acid reflux and would complain when it acted up.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My daughter used to complain about her belly hurting when she was constipated (which happened often when she was little). My son would complain when he had indigestion about his tummy hurting.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think sometimes kids do have a tummy ache or something but they just ignore it part of the time because they want to play. I know my son does sometimes. I think you will know if she is really ill and you need to take ehr to the dr though.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My 3 1/2 year old does this all the time. In my case, she's FINE. She just wants to stay home, play, and watch her "movie" (Tinkerbell). I'm sure there are times she has gas, or is constipated, or, at her age, it could very well be a form of growing pains....but if she has no fever and is acting normally, playing, eating, etc., odds are she IS fine and is just looking for a little attention.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Did you ask where? Did you press on her torso? Just because she is in pain doesn't mean she has to stop doing things and lay around. It might just be a little pain that is more of a nuisance to her. When my son was constipated he complained of pain but didn't want to stop playing, when he had a gallbladder attack it stopped him in his tracks.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 3:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My daughter is complaining of the same thing. I took her in and had a full workup done on her....I mean they checked everything with blood and urine testing. She came back clean. My doc said to try zantac to see if it is just the acid in her stomach causing problems or what. It seems to help but she hates the taste of it so getting it down her is not easy! Maybe talk to your doc about trying something like that to see if it helps.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Maybe her belly is just upset, try something soothing & see if that helps
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You know your child better than anyone else.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010