Scenario: You are considering adoption.. Would you adopt a special needs child? Why or Why not?

One with moderate to severe disabilities?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 1:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I could, but only because it requires a special type of person and I think I would be horrible at it.. I think had my son had medical issues, of course I would take care of him.. but I would struggle at that... so I couldn't knowingly adopt one with special needs.. I give all the credit in the world to women / families who are strong enough to do so...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• yes i would all kids deserve love and a family.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would, but mainly because my 13 year old has autism. I know what it takes to be a special needs parent, I know how to advocate for my child, and I know where to turn to get more information/help.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• no, because I have 5 other kids, and would not be able to be attentive to their needs. But I support all who do, as long as the child is from the US. I disagree with out of country adoption!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• JoLee.. why do you disagree with out of country adoption?
    SuperrMommyy

Comment by SuperrMommyy (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• well, i disagree with it b/c there are so many children in the US who need homes! A good way to see the point is...what if you needed help, and your family didnt want to help you, but went out and helped someone else, and did so knowing that there was someone in their family who really needed them? If you can help your own country, you need to do that before going out and helping another! No other country in the world adopts from other countries! Mainly b/c the government realizes that they need to help themsleves first! DOnt care if you like it, it is the truth!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I might it would depend on alot of other factors though. If I were a stay at home mom still then yes and if my sons were alot older and more self sufficient.
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 5:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes, I would. As the parent of a child with significant healthcare needs, I am well aware of what I'd be getting myself into.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No, I wouldn't. I have a real hard time bonding with my children, and I would think that would be even harder with an adopted child. I could see myself having a real resentment issue with a Special Needs child, as sad as that sounds. But I know myself, and I don't think I would be the best option for a child that needs extra love and attention, I'm just not cut out for it... Thankfully I know that before I get in to it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

You are woefully ignorant about adoption. Did you know that more than 1/2 the children in the system are unavailable- there are NOT "so many needy kids here". That is a myth. No other country adopts internationally? Really? Hmmm... Germany, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, England, Ireland, France, Spain...they ALL participate in IA. Did you know that there are
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 6:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2010