i have a puppy but he has really sharp nails and he likes to play rough with my 10 month old he bites and scratchs her i try telling him no and swatting at him but he dosent lissen...so i have to put him outside but it is getting really cold and i dont want to put him outside where he can freeze..

i have tried the bathroom but he tears everything up...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Pets

• Get a crate
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 3:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Try a crate. Also, get his nails clipped. If he's a puppy he will out grow this...........but he has to be taught to. Which you are showing him. The best thing is what you would do for a kid. If he bites, nips, or scratches, stick him the crate or in the bathroom. As soon as he does it. Just like a time out for a child.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Keep his nails trimmed! Poor guy! I do understand you don't wnt him to hurt the baby, but you've got to teach him how not to, rather than keeping him away from the situation. Maybe you should try taking him to an obedience class. Also, I know they make nail covers for cats, I wonder if they make them for dogs as well?
    Otherwise, whenever he jumps up pull him firmly back and tell him "NO" you've got to be extremely firm, so he knows who's head! ;)
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 3:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Try the "Peticure" thing. Seen the infomercial on TV? That way you can kinda sand the nails down and not hurt the puppy. Really be careful if you clip them. You can actually do damage if you don't do it carefully.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Maybe an dog obedience class would help. It would not only help the dog listen to you when you tell him no but also create a better dog all round.
    beasmileymom

Answer by beasmileymom at 11:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• try using Pedipaws it files nails instead on cutting, so no sharp edges... and puppies will play no matter what like kids, that's the way they learn. so my sugestion whach them when they together and get a gate for your puppy or use pack & play for you baby to play in:) Good Luck!
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Teach the dog that the baby is OFF LIMITS unless he is invited to see the baby. The Dog Whisper--Ceasar Millan--teaches this. The dog should learn to keep its distance unless invited in. ( I wish people would have to raise a well mannered pup before having kids---it is a great lesson in consistency and obedience:-) I urge you to get the pup under control with puppy manners and include teaching him the baby is above him in the "pack" and he can't come near unless invited. ALSO get a crate and train him to it--you will be glad you did! But it sounds like he is an out of control toddler that needs some direction:-)  PS--trimming the claws doesn't address the bad manners!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• He might not get enough attention,exersize or quite...
    mykidsrawesomee

Answer by mykidsrawesomee at 5:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• sigh...Definately crate train him - hitting will get you NO WHERE, also that it is cruel (would you beat your kid for playing?) AND DEFINATELY go to puppy classes...they work wonders. Our boxer was a nut job until we got her into puppy class. Buy a dog, accept the responsiblity.

itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 4:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• If you are uncomfortable clipping the nails yourself you may try a groomer or even you vet's office may do. Our Vet does it. I have to hold him while he does it unless we take him in for a bath then I get to drop him off ad one the nurses has to do it. Also we have a pug and he can't be outside in extreme weather so we decided to crate train before Abigail was born. Mainly for the fact if he gets out of hand we have somewhere to put him. If you want to try a crate but are worried about the price, Walmart has nice ones and aren't as expensive as the ones your will get at say Petco or a Pet Store. You should also keep the pups food and water in the crate as well. We have been lucky so far that our dog only wants to groom our baby quite a bit. But he is the same way with us so he seems to taken her in as one of the pack.
    merechele

Answer by merechele at 7:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2008