At what age should you switch beds?

At what age do you think is best to switch from a crib to a toddler bed?

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 3:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• As with potty training, there is no "best" age. You have to judge if your child is mature enough for the switch.
    Some people have 1 year olds in a toddler bed and the baby does just fine.
    Some people move their child and life becomes a nightmare of shouting to go back to bed, endless trips back to bed, and midnight trips to empty all the cupboards in the kitchen or open the front door.

There is no mental harm in leaving a child in a crib.
    Most kids who try to climb out and fall don't try again. Those that do keep climbing out should be moved to a bed or a crib tent needs to be put in the crib.

Evaluate YOUR child. Will he stay in bed at bedtime or will he be up playing / visiting you all evening? WIll he nap or will he play? How baby proof is your home or are you willing to lock him in? The older the child, the more trouble he can get into but also the more he understands.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I switched my eldest when he was 19 months old and he did wonderfully. We plan to do the same thing with his brother. You can always TRY to switch. What we did was put the toddler bed in my son's room along with the crib. The first night he slept in his crib, but on the second night he slept in his bed. We waited all week to see if he wanted to sleep in his crib again, but when he showed no interest in the crib anymore, we took it out. It worked out perfectly.
    Lainee21106

Answer by Lainee21106 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My daughter got her toddler bed when she was about two months shy of her 2nd birthday. She has done wonderfully, and the fact that she potty trained early, her toddler bed gave her the freedom to get up and use the potty if need be.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 4:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We never had a toddler bed, just a twin mattress and box spring on the floor with a rail so they don't fall out. Around 18 months or so my son started climbing out of his playpen (his bed), so it was a necessity that he have a regular bed so he wouldn't climb out in the middle of the night and get hurt.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• As soon as the child is able to climb the crib and you are worried that hey will fall out and land on something and break it. I took my older two out around the age of 1 1/2 or so.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2008