Anyone else have older children with a baby on the way? My son is 7 my dd is 5.

When I had my second baby my son was only 2...he was still just a baby himself.

So what are the differences? Perks, hardships?

Anything really....just wanting to get some other mothers ideas so I can think about how best to prepare my two older ones!

They are very excited and dont really see jelousness being an issue. Especially with my son.

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 2:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• WELL, we have number 5 on the way with a 7,4,3,an1 yo already, so it is always the same IMO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My kids are 13, 10, 9, 2, and 4 months. So the older ones were much older when the little ones were born. They are a HUGE help!! My 2 year old loves them and thinks they are the best thing ever, and they love him to pieces.
    It did bring a whole host of questions about where babies come from, how they come out, etc. but they were ready to have that talk anyway so it actually just made it easier. It's hard because the older ones want to go and do (amusement parks, stores, etc.) and my little ones need to take a nap. With the older 3 being so close they were always into the same things at the same times, same types of toys and interests.

Answer by missanc at 2:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It did bring a whole host of questions about where babies come from, how they come out, etc.

YES! We have already dont a lot of question answering! hahaha! I agree that it is a good way to open up about sex with kids....big learning experience lol !
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My daughter was 11 when my twins were born. She was old enough to do a lot of things for herself and also old enough to actually appreciate having less attention focused on her. She was very helpful throughout my pregnancy and after the babies were born. The little ones look up to her and she cheers them on and brags about their accomplishments, especially the ones she believes she helped them to learn. The relationship between my older daughter and her little brother and sister is wonderful, and they all benefit from having one another. 

Really, the only issue we have had is that my older daughter and I don't get to spend as much time together with just the two of us, but I do try to make time to do things with her without the twins every once in a while.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My older kids were 10, 8, 7 and 4 when our youngest was born this summer.

The older kids are a great help with the baby.  They feed, change and play with him when I need a break or I'm trying to do something else (like cook dinner).  He's almost 4 months old now and they love to take him for walks around the block.  The kid is so spoiled it's silly.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010