I'm watching The Doctors tv show and they're saying that Oral Sex can cause throat and/or tonsil cancer!

They're saying it's a higher risk than smoking...9x the risk. makes me not want to do oral even more now! what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Relationships

• Is this regardless oof if you partner finishes or not?
    Anonymous

• This is a quote from http://www.newscientist.com
    "People who have had more than five oral-sex partners in their lifetime are 250% more likely to have throat cancer than those who do not have oral sex, a new study suggests.

The researchers believe this is because oral sex may transmit human papillomavirus (HPV), the virus implicated in the majority of cervical cancers."

Bottom line, this only affects people who have more than one sex partner. Ideally you should know your partner and they need to be tested. The article encourages men to get the HPV vaccine to prevent this issue from spreading.
    In my case, I am married and both of us have been tested in general because of partners we've had before we ever met. It seems old fashioned but how else will you know?
    lexicon

Answer by lexicon at 4:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• lexicon - Thanks. i'm married so i guess i'm ok...
    Anonymous

• thank god I dont give it.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• LOL. Thank you Lexicon for putting into reality.
    Maybe we should all just smoke...no. Just kidding.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Scarry stuff
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• sounds like your risk is the same with a particular partner of getting cervical vs throat. i'm sure there will be a pill for it as soon as everyone gets scared enough
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Don't like doing it anyway..Haven't for may years...I herd guys can get it to from doing oral sex to a female partner to..

Answer by louise2 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That's crazy! I haven't heard that before. Wow. Um. Yeah I'm speechless for once.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• They're referring to the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), which is sexually transmitted and is believed to cause not just mouth and throat cancer, but cervical cancer as well. The FDA so far has *not* approved the HPV vaccine Gardisil for men or boys, because there haven't been studies to show whether or not it is safe or effective as of yet. There is also no approved test for the virus in men without symptoms.
    There are many strains of the HPV virus (more than 100, over 30 of which are sexually transmitted), and you can be a carrier for years, even decades, without any symptoms or any knowledge of it. Condoms don't just prevent pregnancy.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2008