I am so scared about labor...Is it really as bad as some people say it is??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 2:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think its normal to be anxious about it. Its good that you want to be informed! Being informed always makes me feel more in control.

Just remember, its such a short time in comparison to how long you will love your new baby!!!

People laugh at me b/c I use to say that I missed the actual birth day!!! I missed it so much I wanted to do it again...I am pregnant with #3 :)

The fact that women are so willing to do it over and over and over again should tell you something!! :)

I agree with Mel...it is very comparable to BAD BAD cramps....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No. If you go into it with the right mindset. If you go in knowledgeable and educated and knowing exactly what you want and how you want it...you will be fine.

If you go in scared and not knowing and rely on them telling you what , when and how and you clueless, then, it will make it much more unmanageable.

I suggest you read up on everything you can find. Read healthy natural, non scary birth stories. Read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.
    Do NOT read anything where they were induced, c-sectioned or "What to expect when you are expecting"...all of that will scare you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Dont be scared!!! It will be the most amazing day of your life! Beyond explanation! But I am not gonna lie, it can be painful...but epidurals are wonderful :)

But once that baby comes how all the pain disappears and you are in awe of your baby :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• From my experience I would say it was not like all the horror stories some people will tell you. I planned on not taking any drugs and when people asked and I told them that they told me I was crazy and wouldn't be able to do it. Well I didn't take the drugs but I did have a water birth which was so soothing...just think of it like bad period cramps and getting in a hot shower helps but instead you labor in a nice hot bath. I would say the worst part for me was when the water begins to cool but then you get fresh hot water. Good luck and you can do it!
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No it isn't, if you are a fit person it will probably go smoother than most, to give you an idea, most women forget all about the pain and do it all over again!!!!!!!! If it was that bad our population would have dwindled!!!! You will do just fine moma, do not be scare instead rejoice that the end is near and the beginning of a new life is about to begin.

Answer by older at 2:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Depends.. I was induced and had an epidural.. I was in Labor for 37 hours.. it felt like bad period cramps... til I had the epidural.. I kind of wish I never had that though - I didn't read or know enough about it before having our son...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Every birth is different. Some have it easy and short some have to go thru hours and hours of labor. But I have to say it was okay, well yeah it did hurt of course but you will forget that later.
    ANd if you scared of pain theres always the option of an epidural.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 2:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have read everything I can get my hands on about everything because I want to know all the options and choices and what the differences are. But it still scares me.
    LiLJeni

Comment by LiLJeni (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Ina mays guide to natural childbirth is the most inspiring book I have read about child birth. I highly suggest it. It will really empower you.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Labor isn't a cake walk.. I will say that. It is painful, but it is totally worth it! The most important thing to remember during laboring is that you need to breathe through the contractions. Relax as much as possible, and never be afraid to ask for medication if the pain gets too severe.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010