So I moved out and i dont think I am responsible to pay off the lease, am I ?

When I left my husband, I rented a 3 bedroom apt. with a friend ( along with my 3 year old daugher and her 3 year old daughter ) . We just payed half of everything, we each had our own room and then our girls shared a room. We signed a year lease, and there was no real restrictions the only "rules" being whoever lives there has to sign the lease, and if any damages occur we have to fix them.

The first few months were pretty great everything was nice. But then she got a new boyfriend and she started being late with her share ( spending her money on him), wasnt cleaning up after herself or her daughter ( which meant I had to ) I was basically taking care of her daughter 24/7 .

Anyways the last straw was when she brought a cat home. My daughter is VERY allergic to them and when i told her this she said to keep my daughter in the bedroom, she wasnt getting rid of it, so we moved out over the weekend

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• if your name is on the lease, you are responsible.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• dulls, took the words out of my mouth!

Answer by older at 2:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Unfortunately I think if you signed the lease then you are still responsible for the rent even if you move out.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes you are responsible until they remove your name, which most likely they won't do any time soon.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If your name is anywhere on the lease, then yes, you are responsible.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• talk to you landlord if you name can be removed from the lease. Is you friend ok with you moving out and she paying all the rent herself? If you both on the lease and she is ok with that it might be easier, if not you still responsible until you lease is up.
    Maybe you can get legal advise cause you ha d to move out because of the health of you daughter and she doesnt wanna get rid of the cat which is very bad of her.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 2:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Bringing home a cat when your daughter is allergic can be construed as her creating a hostile living environment. I would call the landlord and ask to be taken off the lease. They might do it in this case. If they won't then call a lawyer.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Wow well there is alot of selfish people. Sorry to hear that. U can do as long as you look for something you know you can efford. Remember it's only u and ur lil girl. Just sit down and grab a pen and a paper and write down all ur bills that way ur know how much you can spend on a new apartment. good luck
    iris718

Answer by iris718 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If you are on the lease you are responcible for your half until you find a replacement to move in and take over your half of the lease....and be sure to do that with the landlord, not the roomate
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If your name is on that lease and she defaults on payments, they will come after you for payment.....and also for damages.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 2:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2010