Do you buy conventional bread or bake your own?

We have bought bread for the 3 1/2 years we have ben together. But as I have broadened my knowledge of the commericalism of our food industry and the amount of chemicals and high fructose corn syrup in our foods, I'm finding that our family doesn't like them. We are switching to all homemade. So do you bake your own bread or buy store bought, and why?

Hollea

Asked by Hollea at 2:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I bake all of our breads: loaves, buns, rolls, pitas, tortillas, etc. Why? because it's cheaper than buying (about 50ยข/loaf) and I know what's in my bread. I can make six loaves at a time (no room in the oven for more) and the actual time I have my hands on the dough is about 20 minutes, between mixing/kneading and forming loaves.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Personally I don't eat bread. But I owned a bakery for 16 years and made it every day. When my kids were small they never had bread that came in plastic.
    Now my husband purchases it for his lunch. YUCK>
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I buy bread - but I buy from a bakery and they don't use HFC or other perservatives.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I just buy packaged bread, whole wheat, but I would never think of making my own, seems time consuming.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I bake my own, usually in bread machine, and buy from a bakery.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'd like to make more of mine but I can never get it a uniform size like the packaged stuff, for sandwiches and stuff. Any tips?
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I often bake bread in the winter, but in the summer I avoid using the oven. There are HFC and preservative-free breads for sale; they're never as good as homemade bread, but they'll do for sandwiches.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I buy bread. Although my 2 year old and I go thru a lot of bread each month, I have no desire to bake my own. I don't have room for a bread machine, and it's easier to just pick up a loaf at the grocery store.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I buy it - we have a favorite that doesn't have HFCS and is whole grain. I've made my own before but the kids weren't terribly fond of it, and it goes bad so fast it's hardly worth it. Everything else I bake myself though.
    Anonymous