How do I get my 6 year old to not lie to me?

My 6 year old suffers from functioning autism and lately she has been lying to me and I don't know if she understands what she is doing or that it is not right to do it. How do I explain to her that it is a bad thing to do?

mwallace1023

Asked by mwallace1023 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dd is 5 and has very high functioning autism. When it comes to matters like this...I assume she understands. b/c I would rather do that then let her get away with something and learn bad habits b/c I gave in when I shouldnt have.

As a mom, you have to grow those lie detector radars....lol....catch her in a few and tell her what she did and how it makes you not believe what she says....

I dont know what level your dd is on...but I think my dd would understand that.....she would also receive punishment just like her typical brother does.....time out...and grounding from a special toy or outing....

To let an aspie child get away with things b/c you are not sure if they understand or not...is only slowing them down more.....ere on the side of them understanding it ....know what I mean?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I am not sure about children with autism as far as their understanding goes, I know all levels are different. Just do your best to explain on the appropriate level how important telling the truth is and how having mutual trust is such a huge thing for a parent and child.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I am not sure about children with autism. My son lied like three times in one week and my hubs made him carry a note around wherever we went for a week that said "I am a liar, if I know you chances are I have lied to you before I don't, I will at some point because everyone is a sucker" and he had to actualy have people sign it. I was against it but it seemed to work, he did not lie to us any more.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• its hard because of autism you dont know what they understand so just try different things to you find different things that work let her know that she will have to give up something she likes if she lies and maybe by giving her a bag of coins that everytime she lie a coin go in the jar and whatever she is left with she can treat herself to something and start it again till she gets it
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010