Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Can we legally move out ?

We have been living in this house for a year. A few months ago we called our landlord about a bad leak ( under the bathtub ( leaking to the basement)... She said she would call someone about it to get it fixed but didnt.... I called her several times about it and she said she would get ahold of them and didnt....

We just keep dumping out the bucket that it drips into everynight.... and now I realized under the bathtub ( you can kind of push the "siding" back a little) and there is alot of black mold!...

I am not sure on if it causes health problems or any problems at all... but this house is literally falling apart, not to mention she raised our rent. We do not even have a lease but we need to move but we will need our down payment to use for our next place.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

Answers (9)
  • Of course you can specially if you have no lease, but I do not think you will get your down payment back.

    Answer by older at 2:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Yes you can move. What does your rental agreement say? I'm not sure why you are asking this if you do not have a lease??

    And if you did have a lease, you can still legally move out. Check with the tenant rights in your state/county and see for sure.

    Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • So you never signed a lease of any kind? 6 months, 1 year, month to month? Nothing? if that is so. Put your notice in 30 days usually. And move. will you get your deposit back. Probably not. sounds like she will keep it for the problems with the house.

    Answer by louise2 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Tenants rights- you have to do some research. If a place is not up to good living conditions then you should be able to have some compensation. Of course you can move out. As far as getting your deposit/down payment back- it would probably cost you more to hire a lawyer to fight that then it would to just let the deposit go. But good luck. Some people just don't know how to take care of their buildings/tenants which is horrible.

    Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • maybe take them to court

    Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Put a request in writing and send it certified. Include in the letter that you can have it repaired and withhold it from the rent (this was information given to me from a rental asociation in my area). Once you put it in writing you will be able to have her response and go from there. With nothing in writing you would have to atleast give 30 day notice because it sounds like your out of your one year lease. Did you sign another one? Or are you on month-month? GL

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Sorry didnt see the part with no lease. If there is nothing in writing stating that you owe a certain amount or holding you to that address MOVE! But be sure there is nothing in writing. With no paper trail have no fear she haas nothing to hold you on!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • If you don't have a lease then you can move out. The lease is the binding agreement. Put in a notice notifying them when you'll be moving and that should ensure that you get your deposit back. Did you sign any type of paperwork???

    Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 2:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Did you fill out anything when you moved in about any little things that were wrong with the house? If so then she can't charge you for repairs on that or everyday wear and tear. The leak and the mold are hers to fix as well and that can't come out of your deposit. You need to give 30 days notice in writing, just to cover yourself. After you move out she has 15 days to send you a certified letter letting you know what she is doing with your deposit. If she keeps it without sending you the letter then that is illegal and you can take her to court for it. At least that is how it works here in FL.

    Answer by kmath at 3:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.