Have you ever had fungus due to acrylic nails?

.... and freaked the he** out?!

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• No Ive never gotten infections from getting my nails done. Sorry
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I never got fungus, but my mom did. They said her body chemistry didn't work well with the nails, but I think they just didn't dry her nail bed good enough before beginning. Some places have you wash your hands BEFORE they begin, which is a mistake because then your nails might be damp when they put the nails on. Make sure everything is very dry. I just had nails on for 4 months after my wedding and didn't have any problem.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes I got mine done last month for my wedding and I went for a fill last week. I woke up Sunday to seeing it on one of my nails. Eeeek! I'm going today to have them removed.
    mz_erica03

Comment by mz_erica03 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have had mine for over 25 years, and not once have I gotten fungus in my nails.

Answer by older at 2:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I've done mine for over 20 years. Never gotten a fungus.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• nope never had a problem.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Fungus is usually from instruments that are not sterilized under uv light. I stopped doing my nails and now they are so much stronger and just do them at home.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes, and it was nasty. But I'm glad it happened because it happened due to my laziness. I usually get my nails done at ONE place and then I moved so, that place was 45 mins away and I refused to drive back to get them done every week, having the time and a car to do it.. So, it will never happen again. LOL. And now that I live in the same country as my sister, she does them for me, so that will not be a problem!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• nope, after almost 23yrs having them done every 2 wks, and working with chemicals and having my hands in water constantly, never have i had a fungus. never.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have never had acrylic nails because mine grow long naturally, but I remember my step mother having nail fungus when I was a teenager. Her nails were trashed for nearly a year, and it was so gross!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2010