My 3 wk old has started to have problems pooping.

He's breastfed and still makes a mustard-colored poop in almost every diaper, but it takes a lot of straining, fussing, and leg kicking to get the job done. Thinking it might be gas because he's obviously not constipated, I avoid foods that might cause it - obvious vegetables, red sauces, etc. - but it still seems to be a problem.

About a half an hour after he eats and just before he's about to eat again it starts: stomach rumbling, straining, kicking, passing gas and then the final poop which always calms him down. Mylicon seems to alleviate the problem also, but only after it starts. I'd like to find something that will prevent the problem as it tends to wake him up before he's ready to eat at night.

fertilemyrtlebk

Asked by fertilemyrtlebk at 2:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby's little tummy has to get used to everything, and start working those pooping muscles. It's very common with newborns. I don't know if there is anything you can eat or avoid eating to help, but I was once told to give tiny sips of water to baby, a tiny amount of oil, or use a lubed up thermometer (barely inserted) to check rectal temp. It might help. I just let all my kids work on it themselves until it got easier.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• He'll get over it. Poor little guy. They have such issues in the beginning that they need to overcome.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Don't stick anything up your baby's bottom! That's crazy advice.

Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 10:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• And DAIRY is a huge cause of problems. I don't know where you heard that veggies and red sauce can be a problem......weird.....
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 10:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

Actually it's not. My doctor told me to stick the tip of a rectal thermometer (dipped in petroleum jelly) in my daughter's rectum just to get things moving. It's not like you're jabbing the thing in!! It worked every time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• NO NO NO do not stick anything in baby's bottom. Baby's who ONLY get the boobie start pooping less frequently as they get a little older and your LO is right on schedule. Soon he will only poop once a week! There are a few reasons for this. Breastmilk is more easily absorbed than formula, which is harder to digest so baby uses more of it. Since baby uses more less comes out the other end :). Also, because baby just started using those muscles three weeks ago he needs to get them in shape hence the grunting and groaning. Also, because breastmilk is so watery and the poopoo is so watery baby's bowels do not have much to much against. Also, hence the grunting and groaning. He is totally normal *cross my heart*
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Gecko85 took the words out of my mouth. It sounds totally normal. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 11:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010