He said humans will never understand what's outside our universe...

I don't know where to put this debate question...my son (19 and pretty smart) said to me this weekend that mankind will never make it out of our universe because we will never figure out how to do it and/or it is impossible. He used the example that an ant can not see or understand outer space because of its size. He said like that humans can't see out of our realm because of our limitations. Do you agree with this?

bjane01

Asked by bjane01 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Your son is very smart and I agree with him.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It's an interesting theory, but ultimately, incorrect. While ants are remarkably bright little bugs, they are still bugs. They must exist on their routines, every one in a colony only doing it's job. Ants have been around at least as long as humans, and are still doing the same thing, day after day after day. Our lives are nothing like what they were hundreds of years ago... We continue to evolve.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Hmmm...I'm not sure, but trying to wrap your mind about the sheer vastness of the universe is definitely mind boggling. I think we will continue to learn more and more about our planet and the rest of the universe, things that will continue to make us rethink what we thought we knew about the universe and how things behave. I don't think we will ever understand WHY the universe exists, but I think it's interesting that we even ASK why. Whether or not we'll ever travel extensively in space...maybe. I'd like to think we could do it, but if we ever do, it probably means the earth is in big trouble and we have no choice. So, I actually hope that we won't have to figure that one out any time soon. That's great that he's thinking about these things though...maybe a future philosopher or physicist? :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2010