When to lose the bottle?

A presistant question on CM is "How do I get my baby off the bottle?" What age do you say a baby should give it up without exception?

bjane01

Asked by bjane01 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Well, my kids were 3! They gave it up on their own then. No drama, no crooked teeth.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I took my son off of it at 12 months. Made him quit cold turkey. He started with softer spout sippy cups the day of his birthday. He's never touched a bottle since. And when he turned 3 I threw away all of his sippy cups.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think it's easier if it's done between 12-15 months. For many babies, the longer they are allowed to have it, the more trouble mom may have getting them to give it up. I switched both of my babies to sippy cups right around a year old and did so with relative ease.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Bottle should be gone by one if not sooner.

However, I believe breast and pacifiers can be a self wean thing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• By 12 months. My son stopped at 8 months. I started offering the sippy cup at 6 months old. He stop taking a pacifier at 10 months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I honestly think its up to the baby! With my niece, my sil would giver her sippys and bottles. eventually as she saw everyone else using cups similar to hers she only wanted to use the cups. she was about 15 months.
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 4:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• mompam, i dont know who thumb downed you, but that is rude...lol
    mine have it until about 2, but only at night. One had it until 3 though, b/c we were moving and she was dealing with anxiety! DOnt judge people, it is different and for different reasons for everyone!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• well it depends on you and your child and when they can do without it.... my son was 10 months when he was done with his bottle... and never wanted one again... but it's up to you and when you want to get rid of it
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I breastfed until they grew teeth and deww blood, around 10 months. they went straight on the cup. the younger they are, the easier it is.
    jennie495

Answer by jennie495 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I will take my daughters away at 6 months
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010