Help - my 9 month old has bronchitis!

(I asked this question earlier and got only one response so i think it got lost in the shuffle)

My stepdaughter had it 2 weeks ago when she came over (her mother failed to tell us until after the weekend was done, thank you very much!), and I kept telling her to keep her distance from my son (9 months old) and me (pregnant!) and she didn't listen. Now my husband has it and my son - but my son has to be on nebulizer treatments every 4 hours due to this! He has to do one full week of treatment (ending Thursday) - my question is, did any other parents go through this with their kids? I'm hoping this one week of treatment works and he's good and never has to use the mask again, I just need hope from someone's who's been through it before...

SweetPieMama24

Asked by SweetPieMama24 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Calm down, just breathe.

My oldest had Bronchiolitis when he was only 9 months old. His oxygen levels were so low that he was hospitalized for a night, and had to use nebulizer treatments for a week. For about a year afterwards, he seemed to be more prone to getting sick, and also had to use the nebulizer treatments a little bit more than normal. This was okay though, the treatments really helped him a lot, and nothing bad came of it. He is now 3 1/2 and is a very healthy little boy!

It might take your son a little longer to get better from a cold or other illnesses after this, but there is nothing to worry about. Everybody gets sick, and a know a lot of kids who had to use the nebulizer when they were younger. If you're overly concerned about it, I would call your doctor. S/he will help you feel a lot better about your son's health :)
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• breathe, it's ok. kids get sick, it's par for the course. my youngest had bronchitis at around 8mo or so. he got from his big brother, who no doubt got it from playing at the park. everyone recovered and we are all healthy. your son will be ok, just make sure and finish the treatment.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 3:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with the above poster. It's okay, kids get sick, families get sick. Please do not blame this on another child for God's sake. Sheat happens! As someone that has lived with bronchitis all my life, RELAX. Follow the Dr's advice. You might have some sleepless nights due to coughing and such, but everyone gets it, everyone gets over it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• He's been doing well on the treatments, but from what I've been googling around (which I should probably stop) is that sometimes they have to use the nebulizer treatments EVERYTIME they get sick! and that they're super prone to asthma and ear infections later in life. I understand that all kids get sick (he's had colds and sore throats, etc - but nothing this extreme with the treatments) but it could've been prevented if my stepdaughter just 1) didn't come over when she had it or 2) kept her distance like i said. The mother didn't tell us she had bronchitis until AFTER we dropped her off (and we had her for 3 days) and then a few days later, my son gets it. So it IS her fault that he has it cuz he was just fine before she came over.
    SweetPieMama24

Comment by SweetPieMama24 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010