I am driving 8 hours this Friday to pick up a dog for my family. This is the first time I have owned a dog and I am wondering what the essentials are that i needto purchase before I bring her home. Thanks for the help. Have a great day.

elizabeth5

Asked by elizabeth5 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Congratulations on getting a furbaby some things I would suggest are leash,crate,chew toys(Kongs),bowls,food,
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Dog food,toy,gate,water and food bowls. collar,leash. R u going to a breeder?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes, A cage to put the dog in for the ride home! What kind of dog.
    dancer

• I am not going to a breeder. I am just getting a rescue dog in a different state. She is a mix of Golden Retriever and yellow lab. Where is the best place to buy a crate and what kind do I buy? Thanks for all the help.
    elizabeth5

Comment by elizabeth5 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• High-quality (NOT Purina, Pedigree, Iams/Eukanuba, Science Diet, Ol' Roy or any store brand...the only acception for "store brand" that is high-quality that I know of is Kirkland from Costco) puppy or dog food, food/water bowl, crate, blanket and/or dog bed, brush, toothbrush (yes), doggy toothpaste, doggy shampoo, lots of toys... That's all I can think of at the moment.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Go to a pet shop. They have supplies for dogs,cats and other pets. Get something soft to put down on the bottom of the cage. Like sheepskin or a blanket.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Make sure you have a vet lined up for your new pet, and get that first appt. for shots ect... Puppy food is a must (depends on the dog, for ex. I have a 2 mth old choc. lab named brutus he is considered a large breed dog, so we use puppy chowfor lg breed dogs) and puppy pads for accidents while potty training, it won't take long to train as long as your consistant. Also make sure you have plenty of toys for the new pup, they like to play!! Hope this helps and enjoy the new member of your family!!!
    lmarie26

Answer by lmarie26 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If it's a rescue he's probably already vet cleared, because they can't adopt without that being done. But find a vet anyway. Don't get too hung up on expensive food, I don't buy bottom of the barrel but I used to buy the expensive Science Diet and the dogs wouldn't touch it. Set up a few training sessions at a PetSmart or a qualified trainer. Big dogs need direction, ASAP. And you can buy a crate at most pet stores. Make sure you cover the crate at night or they cry and yelp all night.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• First, congratulations on getting a new family pet! Next, thank you for going to a rescue shelter. That is where I got mine and he has been with us for three years now! A truly perfect dog! Anyway, it's going to be a little tricky at first because he's not going to be familiar with the environment, nor your new rules. I would start off by buying him a food and water bowl, a padded pet bed, some rawhide bones, a chewy style food (shelter dogs could have bad teeth, as mine did). Then go from there and see how he behaves. Mine likes to be in the garage throughout the day. So, I put a bed out there, one upstairs and one in the living room. Another thing is the name. The name they give them might not be the name he has. We just look up the most popular dog names on the internet and started calling the dog those names. When we got to Cody, his ears shot up and he came right to us. So, good luck and enjoy!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Dog food with REAL ingredients. Water Dish, Food bowl, dog bed, cage (For cage training), long leash, collar, registered tags from the county (if your county requires that), and monthly flea treatments. Over the counter flea treatments are fine. Also make sure to get toys, bones, treats, bedding, dog brush, dog shampoo. Make sure to find out if your dog has sensitive skin (by looking up the breed). If it does then get a hypoallergenic shampoo.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010