Does your teen have a curfew?

What is it? Does it vary from week to weekend? When did you start (or need to start) it? Do you think a curfew is necessary?

Jambo4

Asked by Jambo4 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• 8:30p on school nights and no later then 12 on weekends. my daughter is 15
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 3:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My 17 yo dd has to be home by 10 pm on school nights. Unless something school or work related is going on. On the weekends it is 11 pm if she is driving (in nj its the law) midnight if she isn't driving. if she is at a concert or movie or something like that there is some flexibility.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• A curfew is necessary. Children under the age of adulthood and still in high school need boundaries.

My 15 year old daughter has to be home at 10pm on school nights and 11pm on weekend nights. Our town doesn't have anything that teens need to be doing after 11pm at night.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• 10 pm on school nights and 11pm on the weekends as long as they are at a friends home if they are out and about they are to be home by 10 pm on the weekends also!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 6:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My kids are rarely out at night. I take it situation by situation.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My son doesn't really have a curfew. He asks what time we want him in and I give him a time. It is normally 10 on weekdays and 12 on weekend. Later if he is at work or a church event. He always tells me where he'll be.
    SwtRose

Answer by SwtRose at 11:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• They did (they are all grown now). Before the 7th grade they had to be in the house by dark every day of the week and they didn't go anywhere unless it was with us. From the 7th-10th grade they had to be home immediately after sports/drama practice on school nights and on non-school nights they had to be home by 9p as 7th-8th graders and by 10p as 9th-10th graders. We took them to and from everywhere they had to go, no exceptions. As 11th and 12th graders they had to be home right after work/sports practice/drama on school nights & by 11p on non-school nights. The older 2 didn't drive until after they graduated from high school so we took them everywhere they had to go, no exceptions and the younger 2 started driving as 11th graders and drove themselves everywhere, they were not allowed to drive with other teens or have anyone but each other as a passenger in their vehicle, no exceptions.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have 3 boys.... One is in boarding school, he is 16.. (curfew there is tight) The other 2 (14 &10) School days, is not going out.... 8.30pm is their good night time...... Week-ends 12am max for the 14 year old and we pick him up....! My ten year old only goes to kids party, that usually finish in the evening..

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 5:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes they do....unless they are at an event ........like a dance or a football game with school, it's 10:30. and they are with their friends folks or we pick them up. but where we live it's 10;00 PM.
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 12:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes my children have had curfews since they were able to be outside by themselves.
    They are currently 12 & 16
    12 yr old - has to be home when the street lights are on, this is both week nights and weekends. Unless there is a party or event on the weekend there is no need to be out past dark. He is still allowed to play in the yard until about 9 or 10 depending on if he has friends over or not.
    My 16 yr old has to be home by 10 on week nights, this allows time to go to school events or practices for sports, speech, drama etc. He is typically home by 9:00 or 9:30. On weekends curfew is midnight, but I do allow flexibility depending on who he's with, where he is going, what the plan is, if there will parents present ect. The latest he was out was 3am for homecoming, all the kids went to one person's house, her parents made breakfasts, they watched movies and called when my son left so I knew he was on his way home.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010