I dont feel like we will ever have enough money to move out!

We have always lived at my moms (she wants us here) but WE are dying to get out! My husband makes $800/wk but I get overwhelmed with thinking about rent + furnishing a home + utilities +groceries +car upkeep. It just doesnt seem doable!
We save money, but then something drains our bank (dr.bill, car, holiday)
How did u move out? How did u afford it?
Everyone does it... Why is it overwhelming to think about (and no i cant discuss it with mom-she doesnt want to live alone!!!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Instead of saving, pay off any debt you have. Make double payments on your cars, stop using credit cards and work on paying them off. Then make a budget. Budget 1/3 or less of your income toward housing. Then find out how much cable, phone, utilities should be. Make a food budget.
    Then once you have it all calculated, start saving that money for six months. By the time you are ready to move out out will have a nice nest egg, and will have some money set aside for furnishing your new place.

Don't move out until you can and do save all the bill money for at least six months. Then you will know you are ready.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• seriously, you gus make 800 a week? OMG, quit throwing a hissy and just do it! We make much less and yet we moved out last year. You should learn to handle/save money better. you should always have something in savings.
    Anonymous

• I feel the exact same way!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• $800/week is good money. How many kids do you have? Do you have any debts? Car payments, credit cards? What are your bills now?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• maybe you are a little scared of all what would come towards you when living on you own. I dont know where you live and how much rent there is usually (example Manhattan 1 bedroom can run you 1400 a month while in Florida maybe 600).
    Sounds like hes making a good amount of money. Just try to save some of it. You need enough for the first and last months rent, security deposit. maybe look around what an apartment you would like to live in cost you monthly, add electricity/water/insurance and everything else you have to pay monthly and see if its is enough left over for food and anything else you need.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 3:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• SERIOUSLY 800 a week and youre worried! DONT BE!! We get 1400 every 1st and 15th and we do great. house payment is 895, electric is 150-300, water is usually 60, car insurance we always pay 6 months at time. We dont have any car payments but will soon. You should have a whole hell of a lot saved up with living with mommy. You just have to learn to budget. Its really not hard. I also have 2 kids and we are doing just fine :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Set up a timeline w/ your goals and start saving. Make sure you stick to a realistic budget and you will be able to in no time! Good luck.
    abbysmommy429

Answer by abbysmommy429 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I felt the same way but I couldn't handle anymore so we moved about a month ago. We werent sure if we were going to be able to make it. My family brought everything for the house so i was so thankful for that. The house that we brought came with the washer and dryer. I really think God had hand in it because I sure did pray alot. Everything fits with the money that we make.
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We moved out before we had kids. We both worked FT, and were able to pay $800/month in rent and other expenses.

We own now, but with the economy I wonder if we'll ever get out of here. We live in a town home, but want a HOUSE someday. We owe more than the place is worth, and live paycheck to paycheck thanks to my being laid off and DHs pay getting slashed. I am THANKFUL we have own something, but still dream of a HOUSE for our family.

Anonymous

• Millions of people survive on their own each and every day. You have to make sure you don't get in over your head though. Making $3,200 a month should be FAR from a problem and enough money to live on, easily. My husband and I have bills that toal less than 2K a month. We're doing fine.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2010