Is My Baby OK?

My five day old daughter slept for nearly 5 hours last night. I was told that she needs to eat every 2 to 3 hours. She seems perfectly fine and has the normal amount of wet and stool diapers. We have a pediatrician appt tomorrow, but I am pretty concerned about this and would like your opinions. Is it bad that she slept that long? I'm able to change her diaper without her waking up so if she sleeps that long again tonight, should I just let her. Maybe I should just try to slip the nip in her mouth while she's sleeping...

Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby slept 7 hours straight before she left the hospital. She's 2 years old now. Some babies sleep well from early on.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would just let her sleep; she will let you know when she needs food. You can change her diaper and feed her when she wakes. Congratulations on your new baby!!
    abbysmommy429

Answer by abbysmommy429 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It is perfectly fine. Yes, they tell you to wake the baby every 2-3 hours, but it honestly isn't neccissary. Every child dictates their own eating schedule and will tell you when they're hungry. If they sleep five hours or two hours that is their call. As long as she has a healthy appitite, has a regular amount of wet and dirty diapers, and isn't showing any signs of complications she's perfectly fine. I always went by my motherly instinct and I knew from the beginning to never wake a sleeping baby. My children slept as long as they wanted and both are now healthy toddlers.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Its not bad at all... if she wakes up and eats she is fine. You can tell your doctor about it to make you feel better. My daughter is now 3 months and she sleeping 10-11 hours at night. :) She slept 4-5 at night when she was newborn. If you get concern wake her up and feed her if you feel you have to. My daughter didnt always eat every 2 hours. :) Congrats on your new baby girl. :) Be blessed shes a sleeper ;)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• hmm I was much concerned with that too. I think if shes sleeping let her sleep. She will wake up if shes hungry. But talk to the doctor about it tomorrow to make sure. Something else would be if she was sleeping 8 hours or more, then I would for sure wake her and talk to the doctor about it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 3:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• When I first had my daughter six months ago I had much of the same concerns until I realized that if she were hungry she would let me know. Sometime my daughter didn't eat for 5 hours and I was okay with that because I didn't want to force her to eat when she wasn't hungry. That's just how I did things though every baby is different.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I was always told to let my babies sleep if they want to sleep.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Have you ever heard the saying...Let sleeping babies lie.....LOL Now go get some rest yourself and don't worry your little one is just fine. Congrats on your little girl!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• All babies are different. Mine ate every hour until he was 5 months old, even at night.
    One thing you can trust, is your baby's instincts. When they are a newborn, they run completely off of survival instincts. They sleep when they are tired and eat when they are hungry. Dont worry.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Let her sleep. It's wonderful! Hopefully she keeps it up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010