For all you hunters and shooters with children??

When would you let your child shoot a gun supervised and unsupervised? Or when did you let them?? My DS is 2 1/2 and he is extremely smart he finds play guns and I swear this kid is going to be some type of cop or soldier or something haha he has great aim, holds the gun perfect and I'm just wondering when it is ok to let him hold a gun. And I'm not talking about just practice in the house I'm talking about out hunting on my families hunting land(cant think of what its called) or at a shooting ranger??

KBM99

Asked by KBM99 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• 12-14

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i guess it depends on how comfortable u feel seeing ur child with a real gun in his hand.My son is 16 month and if my hubby had the chance he would let him shoot one right now.but i don't feel comfortable with that situation yet
    kimylina

Answer by kimylina at 3:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We are thinking around 8-10. Maybe sooner, but thats only supervised. He will never use a gun unsupervised. My son has gone to the range with his daddy a few times.

I shot my first gun at 6. To each his own. Just teach safety first. :) BTW I think that is so natural for little boys cause my son is the same way. :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• 2 and a half HECK NO! He may be smart and able to hold a toy gun but he is not responsible enough to go through a gun safety class and he is not old enough to understand the guns kill. My daughter is smart and knows that rocks hurt but she will still throw them at your shins every now and then... I know that's not the same exact thing but what if you taught him to shoot he found a gun laying around shot it and hit someone because all he knew was 'I got to shoot it one time' I would say closer to 11 0r 12 and after a gun safety class.
    Anonymous

• LOL...when I was 2, my dad let me shoot a .22 at targets. I would stand on his tool box and aim over his cab. I was an excellent shot. My dad had guns on a gun rack in the house as well. I was never compelled to touch them aside from when he was with me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We plan on teaching our daughter how to shoot a gun around 10 yrs old cause, but only after they learn how to be safe around guns... They are 2 and 3 now and know that you dont go in the closest because they are not allowed to go near a gun and to make sure they knew that we took then and shouldnt them what they do. they are not scared of them but they know they can hurt people.
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 3:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Whether they shoot a gun or not, have a gun in the house or not, every child needs to learn gun safetly. My guns are locked up, and my child knows that if she ever sees a gun to not touch it and to get an adult immediatly.
    I think she shot the 22 last year, she was 4.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would think 9-12 depending on the kid and safety class would be a must.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Okay I NEVER said I was going to let me son shoot a gun right now!! I'm asking WHEN!!!!!
    KBM99

Comment by KBM99 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My sons,11 and 2, go to the range with us, but only the 11 yr old is allowed to shoot. We agree that a child needs to be old enough to understand the ramifications of firing a weapon before they are allowed to handle a firearm. They also need to be able to comprehend and comply with all of the rules of safely handling and firing a weapon. Personally I do not believe that a child should handle a firearm until they are 6-8 yrs of age.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 4:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010