How do you deal with a "biter"

SAfogus

Asked by SAfogus at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my oldest use to bite all the time! he broke my skin a couple of times. we bought him a 'special pillow" and called it his 'bitting pillow." every time he'd bite or open his mouth as if he were about to bite we'd say "_____ isn't for biting. go get your pillow." he bit the pillow for awhile and eventually progressed out of that phase.

rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 4:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My mom would tell you to bite him back. lol. Apparently this worked on my but I'm calling abuse on that one! When my DS bit his little friend my DH made him bite an onion. I thought that was pretty mean to but it worked. DH kept telling him 'biting is yucky!' DD was never a biter so I dunno if it would have worked on her or not.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i bit her back. Not enough to leave a mark but enough to let her know the discomfort of it.

Spanking can also be called abuse right along with biting. Abuse IMO is attacking in a violent manner with intention of doing bodily harm. Neither of these goes to that extreme.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Really! Biting an onion isn't abuse? You do realize that onions can burn the lining of the mouth, especially in a child.
    Anonymous

• I would gently put his hand in my mouth as if to bite down, for him just the thought of being bit was all it took.
    tinaboo7701

Answer by tinaboo7701 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Vidalia onions do not burn the lining of the mouth and he had him bite it not hold it in his mouth. It tasted bad that's all. ::sheesh:: and yeah I think biting a kid back is abuse when they leave teeth marks as my father did. Of course they also had me hold hot sauce in my mouth for talking back... Nice parents huh?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I just said No Bite and she stopped
    madimoma

Answer by madimoma at 10:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2010