Still won't breastfeed.

My daughter is now 3 days old and I've tried everything but she just seems to have no interest in latching on and I've done the skin to skin contact thing, tried gently waking her up and everything, and I'm at my wit's end with how to do this. And I'm getting worried. Should I just start to bottle feed her?

sarah221

Asked by sarah221 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Has she been eating at all? that is my biggest concern. Is she receiving enough nutrition? If you are concerned about this also, call her doctor.

It takes a while before some babies get the hang of it. Did you have a lactation expert at the hospital where you delivered? They can help you and her with latching on. Often they give classes or simple 1 on 1 instructions to help new moms. Call the hospital and ask .

take care and good luck

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 4:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• She's eaten a little yes but literally almost nothing, no there wasn't a lactation expert, it's a small hospital. But I'm thinking about calling her doctor now because I really can't seem to get enough into her. I'm going to attempt getting her to drink out of a bottle now, just to try and get her to eat.
    sarah221

Answer by sarah221 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Hang in there! Just keep offering the boob. The first couple of days, weeks (in some cases: months) it can be tough. For example, in my case: I used a nipple shield on and off to help my son with his latching problems. There are many other things you can try before offering a bottle.

Have you tried contacting La Leche League? Also, try this group here on CM:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/379

Good luck: you can do this!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Lots of things you can do! Use a warm washcloth on your breast to help speed up letdown. Strip baby down to just a diaper and tickle the feet to wake baby up. Make a "boob sandwich" by gently flattening the end of your breast so it's easier for baby to get a hold of. Hold baby in position and gently move nipple over baby's nose and upper lip - this should get baby to open wide. Take that chance to insert nipple. Get some in person support! www.llli.org is the La Leche League website to find a group and leader in your area. Also, check out group Ivansmom07 listed, and kellymom.com.
    My son had a lazy latch to start with, but we figured it out and have gone on to breastfeed 18 months.
    mandawest

Answer by mandawest at 6:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Definantly get some help, also I wouldn't worry too much as long as your baby is getting a little here and there. Are you pumping in the meantime? I had to fight this a little bit because my son (2 months) had a tied tongue and couldn't nurse (milk would pool in the back of his throat and he would gag or sneeze, it was aweful, a snip later and he drank like a fish!) Has your milk actually came in yet? Some babies (my ODS) just wait until...If nothing have some confidence that your body will produce exactly what your baby needs. Trust yourself, and just keep trying every two hours, Baby and YOU will get the hang of it. Just remember that every little bit is like gold!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 7:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• If she is not latching on you need to be pumping and getting milk into her, otherwise she will not have the strength to learn to breastfeed.

Go to http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/When%20Baby%20Does%20not%20yet%20latch.asp
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• La Leche League has contacts all over the country - women who are passionate about helping you get nicely established in breastfeeding. Keep in mind that it is ok to dropper-feed or bottle-feed a couple of ounces of fennel tea to make sure the baby is not getting dehydrated while your milk production gets established. For the fennel tea, we're talking about 2-3 single fennel seeds and a cup of boiling water poured over them. The fennel is soothing for the digestion and slightly sweetens the water, and the boiling ensures that the water is sanitized enough for a newborn. ... And to encourage your milk to come in, eat nice warm soups, well-cooked vegetables, drink teas ( there are teas especially for encouraging milk). Best, best wishes !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• The PPs have given great advice. Look for your local WIC office, they sometimes have lactation consultants. They will see you even if you do not have WIC. Good luck.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Definately look up a Lactation Consultant....I was so set on BF that when my son had no interest in it, I didn't want to offer him a bottle. Does she have wet and dirty diapers? My son didn't have a poopy diaper for like 4 days and finally I took him to the ped. and we ended up in the hospital for 3 days with a biliblanket and an IV in him. :( I would definately offer her a bottle or try to cup-feed some formula. She's gotta get something in her but don't feel bad and don't give up!! She'll get it if you keep at it!! I went thru the same thing 5 months ago and now my son is 18 lbs and 26 inches long. mama's milk is best! But if you need to supplement with formula, you're not a bad mommy!!! Keep your head up!!!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Dont give up! Your only 3 days in, that's not very much time. It took us about 4-6 weeks to be "comfortable" with our latch. Call LLL and get a lactation consultant to come to your house, their very helpful! Tickle baby's bottom lip downward to get her to open wide, then quickly pull her to the breast and stick it in there. Get rid of any binkys your using, and wait to give them to her until she's 6+ weeks. Also, dont introduce the bottle! It will only make it harder for her to learn to nurse. It's a new world and just as frustrating, if not more, for your new baby! Give it time and patience. If you try for a long time in one sitting and get frustrated, try again in fifteen minutes or so. Just keep trying, often. Dont try any schedules or make her wait a set time before feeding her.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2008