Do you take your kids with you to vote? Why or why not?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 4:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. I will be...because he is not even 3 and is my sidekick at the moment :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have no choice. It is take them or don't vote. My husband is working during the entire time the polls are open today. I am bringing them in the double stroller and am bringing a quiet diversion for them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Last presidential election I took my son with me to vote and tried to teach him about what it was and why its important. This year I took my dd who is 5. She was upset that we were not voting for her favorite color M&M's....hahahahahahaha! I laughed forever! I tried to teach her a bit too, but as you can see, she is my crazy funny child!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My two older kids now go on their own, and my youngest will be old enough to vote next year, so he already knows what goes on.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 4:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I take my son with me. I want him to know how important it is.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes. My son, 4.5 years old has went to every poll when we vote. We also vote early to avoid crowds. My son can even tell you who the current president is, the senators for our state, It also helps when your mommy is a social studies teacher. lol
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No.

We vote by mail here in Oregon. So even if I did have a small child at home, I would not have to take them with me anywhere to vote.

Side note: When my son was young and still living at home (after vote by mail started..) he joined in on the voting process with my husband and I.. He would sit and listen to what was on the ballot, he would participate in researching the issue/measure/candidate, he would also participate in discussing the pro's/con's etc of those things as well.. Voting was definitely a "family" even when my son was still at home.. lol I like to think this type of participation has helped him and encouraged him to be the politically active and attentive young man than that he is today.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If they wanted to they could have.I usually went during the day when they were in school. They are adults now and always vote.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I didn't. My 12 year old and 9 year old were getting ready for school, and my 3 year old was still sleeping. Our town hall is a block away! It took me 10 whole minutes to vote! (That's counting travel time!)
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes she is 4.. Has went the last 2 years with us.. Mainly because its just easy for her to come with us.. But I do love kinda talking to her (in 4yo terms) what we are doing.. Im sure unless she is in school she will be coming with us & hopefully she will grow up knowing its important! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010