1500 calories a day healthy amount to eat for now? How many calories are you eating?

I'm 12.2 days pregnant and don't want to change how many I'm calories I'm taking in too quickly. I'd like to gradually increase my calories to get to where I'm "maintaining" weight then of course healthily gaining it. So for example, increasing the calories I eat about 100 per week until I get to where I'm supposed to be.

I guess I'M not too worried because my mom gained 12lbs with my sister (6lbs baby) and 15 with me (71/2lbs baby), so I figure if I get to 20 I'm good! Anyway, I make sure that the calories I take in are high in protein and I eat lots of fruit, veggies, and low-fat dairy. I'm just wondering because I've had negative feedback from some family members.

I'd also like to know how high I SHOULD go with my intake of calories for gaining weight slowly and healthily? Is 2,500 a good number? I plan on asking my doctor at my next appointment but would like to know how you ladies ate too!

ours

Asked by ours at 4:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i just found out i am pregnant and don't eat anywhere near that amount yikes i hope my baby will be ok i need to go see a doctor
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I don't count calories and I'm not horribly concerned about gaining weight because I will just lose the weight after the baby is born anyways. Your doctor would know what you should take in.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• OP: Well nandy90, I was eating 1,200 before trying to lose weight so I figured add in 300 for the baby to start and slowly try to get to a more healthy amount. My family seems to think I should just jump into a much higher amount though because I'm not eating enough. Honestly, I'd rather eat less calories and have them be good for the baby then a bunch from greasy food at restaurants and junk.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• 2000 is a better amount. While you're pregnant you need to add a minimum of 200 extra calories per day. You should shoot for gaining at least 20 lbs with the pregnancy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• 1500 is fine, as long as it is healthy food. Add 100 calories per week after the 16th week until you are at 2000 calories.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2010