My 5 yr. old son has been throwing fits about little things (to me anyway). I got really upset and yelled last night, which made it worse, for both of us. It seem he is arguing with me over everything, what can i do?

He did just start Kindergarten and at almost the same time his dad had to move far away for a while for a job. We moved in with my Parents...... okay i might have just answered my own question. he probably feels out of control and wants control over some part of his little life? Any respose is appreciated!

Grants Mom

Grantsmom242

Asked by Grantsmom242 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like time outs are in order. My son Noah is 1 1/2 He is all about testing me lol. The best thing u can do is put them in a time out. Somewhere wih no toys and no1 to look at, (must be out of sight) leave them there for about 3-5mins. If when uget them out they do it again, put them back in directly! Keep it up and be strong! They will get it eventually..but u must be stern about it, and dont let them get by even once, or you will have to start all over. Good luck.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I feel for you as I am going through the same thing. I recently have been awarded temp custody of my grand daughters ( age 2 and 6) due to an abuse issue at home. The older has been having behavior issues for several months. Try ignoring these as they kind of sound like attention getters.
    SAfogus

Answer by SAfogus at 4:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Try several different approaches at one time.

I agree with the above poster on time outs and discipline for bad behavior...you can NOT let him slide on that.

But also, try to come up with things that he CAN control or make decisions about so that he feels more in control....Try not to say NO to everything...only the really important things. Pick your battles.

Maybe he could pick the color of his new room, or a new comforter for his bed...let him re arrange his furniture the way he wants to. Make a big deal about it being his choice its his room...

Maybe that will release some of his stress.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• thank you all so much for your comments I appreciate it!!! That hleps me.
    Grantsmom242

Comment by Grantsmom242 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It does sound like he is really stressed and acting otu due to the changes in his life. Maybe make a point of talking about feelings and spending some quality time together each day to help him manage how he feels.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If it were me, I would first take my child out so it was just the two of us and I would just talk to them. He may be young but he is still a person and he may or may not get it but I would give him the chance first. I would just say, "hey you have been a bear lately and it hurts my feelings, is there something bugging you that you would like to talk about?" Maybe he will realize it on his own and you can work together to fix it.
    With that being said, I can tell you that my daughter is much worse at listening around my Mom than when my Mom is not around. My moved in with us and it took a bit to get adjusted and get my daughter back on track.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• although he might be expressing himself about the changes draw a line and get a grip first start of by dont debate or argue with a 5 yr old who is the adult you have to take control now before is to late you shoulddve did it when it first happen and yelling dont get you nothing but a headache and high blood pressure put him on time out if it dont work walk away and tell him when he is done you can talk dont feed into it and let him know it is not accepted . kids these days are to smart they get away with what you let them he tested it worked and now it has to stop
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Make sure he has one on one time with you so he still feels special. Plus praise when he does things right. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• he is angry at you for change his life with him get use to the new place and people, the new rule
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 12:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010