Why do I feel like a horrible person cause I am not a dog person?

My bf got him self a puppy dog about a yr and a half ago. He is a Husky mixed with who knows. We believe he is about 1 1/2-2 yrs old. Kodah is a cute dog but I have a hard time liking him. It's not just him, its all dog's. I have come to realize I am not a dog person. My bf LOVES his puppy. Spoils him rotten. Which I understand, cause if I had a pet I loved I would most likely spoil it as well. Well, Kodah SHEDS like crazy and for some reason I get so annoyed when I have dog hair all over my clothes or in my mouth cause he plays and lays all over the bed (which I suggested he shouldn't do anymore). Nick says its just hair, but I see it as gross. I feel like Im a heartless wench & I really dont mean to be or want to me. It's just automatic, its like I become a stuck up biotch when it comes to the dog and that is NOT me. why cant I like or love this dog? it sometimes hurts Nicks feelings when i complain & I feel horrile. help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hate our dog too if it makes you feel better. I loved having a home without dog hair all over. I loved not having to pick dog hair off of my clothes or out of my damn food. I hate laying down in bed and feeling a small hairy pillow between me and my husband that turns out to be a dog.
    I refuse to fight about the dumb dog every day so I just grin and bear it. I usually just ignore it and it stays out of my way.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Don't feel bad....we can't all be alike. I was never a dog person either.
    But, NOW I have a cute Cocker Spaniel who is just about perfect.SHe doesn't shed,she loves to sit next to me ,quietly and doesn't chew on things. I don't think I would have a dog at all if I didn't have her because ,in the past,we have had dogs that are nuts, hostile to kids, chewed on furniture,etc. and I was really not happy! :-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We have 3 dogs and I don't like them either. My fiance absolutely loves them but I only like one of them. They are more trouble then they are worth sometimes.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Can you two come up with some money to get him trained properly? Maybe if he stayed off the furniture & your boyfriend made it a point to brush his hair OUTSIDE, then you could like him better. But, he might need some training in order to stay off the furniture. You & your boyfriend need to compromise. He can love his dog, but does he HAVE to let him on the bed? Make a list od things you don't like about having a dog, show it to him & try to come up with some solutions so that the two of you can live easier together with this dog.

I'll tell you from personal experience though....if you can get that dog trained..you will like him a lot better. Wild dogs can be very annoying...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Don't feel bad about not being a dog person. There are just some of us like that. I like dogs, I just don't want them on my furniture or in my house, period. I think of the microbiology of pet dander, mites, dog fur...I just get skeeved out. (Dr. Smith would be so proud that I actually paid attention in his class LOL) It doesn't mean I hate dogs, I just don't want them inside where I might want to lie down and put my face. I'm not a cat person, either.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Oh yeah, and tell your bf that it's hard to want to get intimate on a bed covered with dog hair. The ole fear of missing out on some rockin' good sex always speaks to the male species. LOL I agree, getting your bf to compromise and have him trained to NOT get on furniture would be a good move. I mean, if you plan on being with this guy, you have a right to request he be trained.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Husky's shed A LOTTTTTTTTTT OF HAIR - take him to petco or another pet store chain and have him groomed. It costs like $25 bucks and the best money I spend each month!! They get ALL and I mean ALL the extra fur out so there is little to no shedding in between groomings. GL!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• thank you ladies!! I was so afriad ppl would think I was bad for feelin this way. money is tight so no training. his excuse on him being rambuntious and stuff is cause he still a puppy. you pet him and there is a handful of kodah hair. he licks the crap out of you too till your raw lol.. but anywho. I told him earlier that my opinion I dont think dogs should be on the bed.. he didnt get mad just said. dont pick on him just cause you hate dogs. lol. eventually he will get proper training, and mellow out. baby on the way so there will be soo much jealousy
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 5:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I feel the same way OP. I guess I don't necessarily hate dogs, but I just don't want to own/care for one. DH had our mini schnauzer before we got married, so I had no choice in the matter. She's hypoallergenic, doesn't shed, and she's a very good and obedient dog. I feel bad b/c I just can't get past the fact that she's always tracking in leaves, she licks the floor on occasion, licks her backside, and I resent the fact that I'm the only one who feeds/waters her. If she was a terrible dog, then maybe I wouldn't feel so bad :-) If you have a Husky, my heart goes out to you! They can be pretty crazy and they do have a lot of hair!  I think hair is gross too.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• the darn dog can jump 4-6 foot fences and LOVES the neighbors cows, recently been getting in the trash for baby diapers of the roomates kid. and uses cats at rag toys... he is pretty nuts lol..
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 5:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010