Should i brush her teeth?

Caroline is almost 9 months old and has 8 teeth now! should i start brushing her teeth?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. You don't have to use any kind of toothpaste if you don't want to, but a toothbrush would be recommended since she has teeth. The actual brushing action is what's important, though if you feel the need to use toothpaste, use the fluoride-free baby stuff. I would let my kids chew on their toothbrushes for a while at that age, and then go in behind them and do what brushing I could. Make a routine of it early, and she'll be a good brusher later on. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes! I brushed my childrens gums at 2 weeks old and with teeth just brush with warm water or the floride free toothpaste.... Good habits start young.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes, start immediately. The sooner you get started making a habit of good dental hygiene, the easier it will be. Plus, her teeth actually do need to be cleaned, even at this early stage. You can start with little baby finger-tip brushes and infant toothpaste, and I would do so as soon as possible. Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• totally up you, I use a wet wash cloth to clean my sons teeth or a toothbrush with nothing on it.
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes. My child's dentist actually told me to brush their teeth until they can write in cursive writing.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• yes! the sooner the better
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes. We massaged DS's gums for the first few months (he had teething symptoms very early) and started brushing his teeth when he got his first teeth (by 6 months). Just use a brush alone or NON fluoride toothpastes meant for babies and toddlers. They should not have fluoride until they can spit it out on their own (if other people in the house use fluoride toothpastes).
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010