what are the basic ingredients for a casserole?

I know milk and usually an egg are part of most recipes...anything else? I'm making a cheesy chicken and potato casserole using leftovers

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Aren't creamed soups pretty popular as the base, like cream of mushroom? I don't know, I'm a terrible cook, but I'm thinking a lot of casseroles are made w/ cream of mushroom.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i dont have that :( I do have cream of chicken though...but planned to use that for a different meal
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Crumbled ritz crackers? Those are used as a topping a lot, I think. Did you google for a recipe? Are you limited to only what you have on hand?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Look here's one, and it's a really short ingredient list:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cheesy-chicken-and-potato-casserole/Detail.aspx

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• you can also go to kraftfoods.com and put the ingredients that you have in to the recipie finder (up to 3 ingredients) and it will give you all of the recipies that have those ingredients.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I don't think there's anything specific - IMO a meat, a carb, and a veggie, plus a sauce, is pretty much it. I don't always use milk in mine, and I never use egg. For everyday - I boil some pasta, brown some ground beef (or use leftover roast, hot dogs, etc), mix with veggies & cream of whatever soup, and voila.
    Anonymous

• www.cooks.com is a good one to go to. And Cream of chicken would work great!
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My favorite is Cream of Mushroom Soup! Can't go wrong with any "Cream of" soups though. Oh, and don't forget cheese!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• m-avi's got it - most are soup-based.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010